PDA

View Full Version : Flash Navigation on a HTML site

Remus
07-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Hey guys, well basically I'm currently building a website for my uncle and the certain features he wanted for the buttons required the use of flash. My problem; is using frames the only way I can use the flash navigation with out the flash file reloading on every page? I would prefer not to use frames but if there is no other way then I will just have to stick to it, thanks. :)

Chapo
07-13-2008, 04:52 AM
Hey... what kind of buttons are you trying to do that requieres flash ? Depending on what effect you are looking for is the need of frames or not.. let me know what do you want to acomplish so i can have a better idea because many effects of flash you can make similiar in dreamweaver.

Corrosive
07-13-2008, 09:03 AM
I would prefer not to use frames but if there is no other way then I will just have to stick to it

Don't build your site with frames. You'll hate yourself for it :(

davidj
07-13-2008, 10:51 AM
you don't need to use flash for buttons and navigation

this is the worst missus of flash across the web

Remus
07-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Hey, thanks for the replies. Well basicly the buttons are circles which on rollover enlarge gradually and change colour gradually and then on rollout it does the oposite.

I had a quick messaround with the dreamweaver effects and managed to get the circle to enlarge on rollover but the image seems to go back and forword from 150% in size to 100% instantly on mouse out. Also after I have rolled out the image for a split second enlarges over 150% and then shrinks to 150% and it remains there. what I tried to do was:

Mouse out: Shrink from 150% to 100%
Mouse over: Grow from 100% to 150% (Both with 1000 effect duration and centred)

Im not sure what I'm doing wrong but hopefully you guys may notice.

Ricky55
07-15-2008, 05:40 AM
The other alternative is to build the whole site in flash. Or just simplfy your button design, most users have seen every permutation of flash button any way these days.

Ricky55
07-15-2008, 05:51 AM
The other alternative is to build the whole site in flash. Or just simplfy your button design, most users have seen every permutation of flash button any way these days, although frames are not ideal they do work with flash menus.

I've used flash menus and standard HTML pages without using frames just by saving several swf files for the states I needed for the different pages although this means a fresh swf file is loaded every time a new page is loaded if your swf file is quite small its only like loading an image.

See what I mean here www.jaybe.co.uk this is quite an old site now and there are things I would do differently now but you can see what I mean.

Remus
07-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Well I have decided to just use frames. Although I had a problem with them at first being that the page would not load on the bottom frame (it would open in a new tab/window) even though I was using the right action script. And it turned out that it was some security setting with flash player 8+ which causes this. :p

Thanks for all of your replies.

Ricky55
07-16-2008, 02:47 PM
All the comments here are right, frames are now defunct but at the end of the day they work quite well with Flash.

Good luck!

Get back to us if you need any further help.