PDA

View Full Version : Broken Images Vexing Me (please help)

Xandria
07-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi, I'm brand new to the forums and beyond desperate to understand what's going on. I'm a beginning user of Dreamweaver and understand basic HTML codes. I've created websites, uploaded them, edited them etc.

However, due to the level of complexity required, I had a website professionally created for me. Unfortunately relations soured because they didn't do what they were supposed to do (irrelevant to my issue). So I can't go back to them.

They created this site and used templates. I load the site in Dreamweaver and it looks perfect. I look at the code and it looks perfect -- there's the embedded template with images showing correctly in code (i.e. /images/NAME.jpg).

But when I view the site from my browser or upload it, the images are all broken. I can't figure out why and it's been months and I'm ready to cry.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

Exasperated and vexed,

Xandria

Corrosive
07-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Don't cry!! :mrgreen:

Can you post a URL for the site so we can have a look please?

Xandria
07-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi Corrosive. Thanks.

http://www.xandria.ca/SeSTest/

Obviously it's not quite supposed to look like that.

Thanks for any assistance. I'll put my tissue box on standby for now and just try and soothe my frazzled nerves with coffee... wait, maybe not a good choice.

Corrosive
07-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Ok, yes I can see your problem.

http://www.xandria.ca/images/product1_home.jpg

The code looks fine if the above URL should lead directly to the image but the link itself is returning as HTTP 404 - not found. If you look at your site structure on the sitemap pane (not local, but on your web space/remote view), is the 'images' folder there??

Xandria
07-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Oh wait... you're right. For some reason the code is pointing to the images residing up one level rather a subdirectory of the same level.

In other words, it should be:

xandria.ca/SeSTest/images
and NOT xandria.ca/images

So did the original creator screw this up? Is this an easy fix in Dreamweaver somehow?

I can manually recode everything but they've used templates. Wait... *looks at the template*

OMG, they so messed up. In the template,
the image that shows up cites as "../images/logo_home.jpg"
and the image that does not show up is "/images/banner_home.jpg"

How did I not see that?!?!?!?!?!

I've never used templates before. But, can I go and edit the template and that will automatically replace the code in the pages using the template?

You are an angel!!!! You saved the destruction of a forest from all the tissues I would have needed from the tears I would have shed!

Corrosive
07-08-2008, 02:27 PM
How did I not see that?!?!?!?!?!

It's often good to get a fresh pair of eyes on stuff...can't see the wood for the tissues eventually!

You are an angel!!!!

Many have & will disagree. :wink:

Why not just move the images folder? It'd save you a lot of messing about. That's what I'd do.

Xandria
07-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Eyes... I need eyes. (pardon Bladerunner reference)

Yes, thank you very much. And angels come in all forms ;-)

Thanks again!

davidj
07-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Xandria http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=141114#post141114)
You are an angel!!!!

Corrosive and Xandria sitting in a tree!.......

Corrosive
07-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Corrosive and Xandria sitting in a tree!.......

Ha, ha DJ. Just cos this is the only angel you'll get close to!!

Xandria
07-08-2008, 04:51 PM
My, what a friendly place this is! :-)

I'm also grateful that I wasn't subjected to "let's tar and feather the newbie". That means a lot and speaks highly of this place. Mind, I've only been here for a few hours. heh heh

Corrosive
07-08-2008, 05:11 PM
My, what a friendly place this is! :-)

I'm also grateful that I wasn't subjected to "let's tar and feather the newbie". That means a lot and speaks highly of this place. Mind, I've only been here for a few hours. heh heh

Mmmmm, we haven't tarred and feathered anyone in a while...:twisted:

Xandria
07-08-2008, 05:31 PM
I knew it!!! Well, at least you offered your eyes before you rounded up the lynch mob, hot tar and sacks of feathers.:grin:

Corrosive
07-08-2008, 06:09 PM
I knew it!!! Well, at least you offered your eyes before you rounded up the lynch mob, hot tar and sacks of feathers.:grin:

You've got a sense of humour, that will keep you out of the stocks for a while :lol: . We usually leave comedians alone for a few weeks and then keel haul them.

Xandria
07-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Oh good. I'll pack away the heavy artillery then... for now.

BTW, great sig line.

Corrosive
07-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Check your PMs if you fancy a chat.

davidj
07-08-2008, 09:40 PM
hehe

classic

its like watching Enrique Iglesias