PDA

View Full Version : Make site searchable

lorne17
07-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Hello there,

I have a site that I would really like to be searchable in google. I have been told that flash is incapable of doing this. Has that changed at all? I have a default index.html page that our domain goes to and loads the flash onto that. is there any type of code I can put on that .html code to input certain searchable words for search engines?

Thanks,

Lorne

Corrosive
07-02-2008, 06:08 AM
Hi Lorne. Look at Keywords and Description options in Dreamweaver. You can add specific Search Engine friendly stuff between the <head/> tags. You can also regsiter your site with Search Engines which should help. You can do this for free with Google and also give them a description of your site to help searchers.

davidj
07-02-2008, 06:25 AM
yes but dont expect to rank high.

you may not even be listed on the first few pages

edbr
07-02-2008, 07:30 AM
description is important but keywords will not help a lot, google will find you eventually, but you ned patience. Their ( and others) robots will crawl your site and extract information from the code, there are various ways to make particular words more important ie <h1>,<h2> <h3> etc tags, bold, italics,density, position on page. The problem with flash is there is not the code to be read that the robots are looking for

Corrosive
07-02-2008, 07:34 AM
yes but dont expect to rank high.

you may not even be listed on the first few pages

I agree DJ.

You might want to look at how to get some html text into your site. Without breaking the Search Engine 'code of conduct'. Do register a Google account as they have a load of info for webmasters and how to improve ranking.

davidj
07-02-2008, 07:50 AM
i sugest you make, who ever tasked you with this project, aware of how difficult it is to get ranked high in a search engine. If you make them aware now you wont get fired when they dont see their site listed no1 after the first day it goes live

tux
07-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Hi Lorne,

Domedia suggested this site in a post about SEO a while back, it might be worth you giving it a read.

If you want to know more about SEO, this ebook, which is no bullshit, is a really good one.
http://www.websitepublisher.net/seo-guide/

regards, Paul

lux
07-02-2008, 11:57 AM
From Googles blob:

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/06/improved-flash-indexing.html

Ricky55
07-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Use good page titles too

m1a2x3x7
07-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Hey lorne17 you mentioned flash in your post. Is your site a flash site? You are correct about search engines not able to search content in flash but there are ways around this. Look up swfobject it is a java script file and will soon become a standard way of applying flash to a site.

It works like this: If you browser is incapable of using flash it will replace it with content you provide. Crawlers cannot view flash so using the swfobject it will replace your flash file with content.

The content you place will obviously mimic the content in your flash file. You can make the content very simple such has:

headline
body copy
links
links
links

no need for design thought in this.

As long as the crawler can read it your set.

As for using keywords in your head tag, don't expect that to work.

Here is the website for swfobject. I'm not sure how familier you are with adobe air but I would suggest downloading it because they have a simple wizard that will help you generate your code needed.

http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/

-M

domedia
07-02-2008, 02:31 PM
There's flash sites ranking as #1, so it's not impossible.
Search Google for "great flash website". This is because inbound links is one of the large factors in modern search engine algorithms.

edbr
07-03-2008, 01:13 AM
subscribing to directories helps as dom say inbound links, this will increase search engine bots to crawl your site

lorne17
07-08-2008, 11:55 PM
subscribing to directories helps as dom say inbound links, this will increase search engine bots to crawl your site

What directories are you talking about? How do I go about doing this?

I'm also very confused about how to use this SWFobject. I'm a bit lost as to where to start. Does anyone know of a tutorial I can follow?

Thanks

edbr
07-09-2008, 12:59 AM
the easy answer is google,
re directories there are thousands of directories where you can add a link and description of your site, this gives an inbound link to you ( a vote,if you will) this makes search engines happier. Many are free others paid especially the bid directories that are in fashion now

lorne17
07-09-2008, 01:24 AM
the easy answer is google,
re directories there are thousands of directories where you can add a link and description of your site, this gives an inbound link to you ( a vote,if you will) this makes search engines happier. Many are free others paid especially the bid directories that are in fashion now

OK, makes sense. Right now I'm setting up my sites with google Webmaster. Is this a good move? Is this what you're talking about?

Thanks,
Lorne

edbr
07-09-2008, 02:26 AM
no, but its a must. see pm