PDA

View Full Version : creating automated image gallery

lorne17
06-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Is there a way to create a web gallery in dreamweaver that is site wide? We have hundreds of photos on our website and we are trying to get the best and easiest way to show our image galleries.

Right now when we need to add a new project to the website, it takes an hour or two just to get the site updated because every image has it's own separate page. So a gallery with 12 thumbnails is really 12 .html pages.

we NEED to get this site to where we can have a template image gallery that is linked to specific folders for images. What would be ideal is this scenario (please tell me if it's possible):
Have a default web gallery set up to access the sub-folders that are in the parent folder of the gallery. Say we have template gallery in the parent folder and subfolders as follows: enlarged, thumbnails, display. All have appropriate images saved to those folders. The gallery just finds and replaces the thumbnails that are in this folder and links them to the display images and the display images linked to the enlarged. Say we add three images to each folder, named accordingly. The gallery would update automatically. SO this way we really only need to edit/resize new pictures and not have to worry about all the links in the site.

Does that make sense?? If you take a look at our website ( w w w.barleypfeiffer . c o m), you'll see under portfolio/residential/then the top one, we have thumbnails on the left and display images on the right and if you click the display image, it's links to an enlarged image. How do we get this to be recreated for new projects in the least amount of steps??

Any help/comments/suggestions to get this started would be beyond helpful. Thanks so much,

Lorne

davidj
06-30-2008, 06:03 PM
in the commands menu there is a "Create Web Photo Album" option

lorne17
06-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Yes I do understand that and have looked at it. However that is not what I am looking for. I want to make one that would work globally.

Am I clear enough? It's kind of hard to explain.

davidj
07-01-2008, 05:58 AM
not sure what you mean

if you think its hard to explain then try hard as i need to understand

the dreamweaver one will work globally

lorne17
07-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Ok well for starters,

This gallery works great if you're trying to do it for one gallery. If you go to www barleypfeiffer com you'll see that we have many many galleries to fix and recreate. Our current site, has a webpage for each individual picture. So gallery picture 1 is pic1.html and gallery picture 2 is pic2.html, and so on...we don't want that. We want something that allows the user to stay on one page, and view the image gallery. The other reason we don't want many .html pages, is to keep web gallery updates easy to do, and recreate for new projects.

So what I am wanting to accomplish is have an automated image gallery (sorta like the built in one that we're talking about) and have it create the gallery so it fits on our webpage with the correct aesthetic to it. I have found the one at projectseven com under galleries HG MAgic. I have had that recommended to me by a few people.

Does that clarify it at all? Basically what I"m looking for is this: suggestions/comments/advise on how we might upgrade our webpage galleries www barleypfeiffer com to keep the same design as our site, but allow for the quickest, easiest, simplest way to update/create future galleries for future projects.

Make sense?

Thanks,

Lorne

davidj
07-01-2008, 04:07 PM
i have never used that extension you have been recommended but the place where it comes from is respected in the DW community

also have a look at thick box >> http://jquery.com/demo/thickbox/

The other alternative is to use a CMS like Joomla which could be tweaked to meet your requirements >> http://www.joomla.org/

you could even commission a bespoke system