PDA

View Full Version : Curios...

africano
06-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Im doing a course on web design and multimedia and one of the guys on the course was talking to me about a site he and his friend had made(its offline now) But he said his friend had made a site where people could download softwqare from(freeware or trial versions etc) similar to softonic although he said it was on a smaller scale.
He talked about it like it wasnt a very big deal and he said his friend made it with joomla and that he maintained it. he also said they made 200 euros a month and had about 1500 visits a day. This all seems very difficult for me, so I dont understand how he talked about it and said it was not a dificult thing at all.
Its not something that interests me but I was just wondering, to do something like this must be really dificult right? I mean it must take a load of work.
What do you think?

domedia
06-27-2008, 04:00 PM
This all seems very difficult for me, so I dont understand how he talked about it and said it was not a dificult thing at all. Makes prefect sense. My friend DJ can talk about how easy it is to set up a simple app with PHP. I wouldn't even know where to start. People have different skillsets.

Joomla is not hard to set up though, why don't you have your friend explain how it works? :)

davidj
06-27-2008, 05:04 PM
africano

if you pm me i can give you a primer into how it all works but you said...

Its not something that interests me

you need to have an interest if you want to get anywhere with it. This is very important part of the process and what drives you to learn more. Im guessing you just want one of those emergency dinghy type applications which you pull the string and an nice application inflates infront of your eyes. Afraid they dont exist. All applications, good ones and bad ones require work and have been built by those people with an interest.

if your honestly not interested then i would do something else. If your not interested because your scared its too difficult then thats a different matter

Corrosive
06-28-2008, 07:51 AM
You'd be competing in a pretty tough market as well mate. Download.com have quite a headstart! Was your mate talking about a few years ago by any chance?

africano
06-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Hi guys, I was just being curios really...after talking with this guy I was sort of intrigued about the whole thing. I dont have a plan to start anything of the sort, but i wouldnt mind knowing a little bit of how it would work etc. I know its a tough market, but to be honest here in Spain we are a bit backwards in every sense. Specially technology wise. Things like facebook have just started to kick in here and its a spanish one that is currently private and can only access with an invite. Ive lived outside of spain for most of my life and coming here I see that things seem to reach here real slow. Satelite tv has just intriduced the box which lets you record tv,play,pause etc.

I think sky in the uk had this ages ago.

Anyways I was just interested in the background of how you would go about doing something like this.curios,like the post title.

domedia
06-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Curiosity is great, you should try this out just for the heck of it :)
Setting up a Joomla site is easy (depends on your experience level again, see my first post). Getting +1k visitors a day a different ballgame, but you need to get your experience in one way or the other.