PDA

View Full Version : Question on Programing Languages as a whole

2bz2p
06-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi,

So I chose PHP for no perticular reason other than thats the one I saw first. Now what is the difference (other than coding terms and that aspect) between ASP and PHP, is it security, personal preference, or does one of them just suck and you should use the other?

Thanks
2b

gmcrone
06-26-2008, 07:34 PM
PHP was originally for use on *nix computers, however it can also be used on windows servers if your host has the plug-ins for it

ASP is from Microsoft and intended to run on windows servers.

So it really depends on the server you are working on.
Overall (my opinion) is that PHP is more broadly used, easier to learn, more secure, and interfaces with databases easier.

Mike...

davidj
06-26-2008, 08:15 PM
and because asp is normally served on a windows platform this would incur a fee which is normally passed on to the end user so ASP is normally more expensive to host.

ASP developers would normally progress into Dot Net with this being recognised more professionally. The salaries differ with Dot Net developers commanding a higher rate though.

PHP is open source so its open to everyone to contribute to the core code.

others include JSP, Coldfusion, Perl

There are some frameworks being recognised now in the industry like CakePHP (http://www.cakephp.org/)and codeIgniter (http://codeigniter.com/) which allow you to build apps using streamlined reusable code.

Once you have PHP nailed i would advise that you study OOP methods (Object Orientated Programming) using PHP

2bz2p
06-26-2008, 10:13 PM
I see, I was told by a buddy of mine at work to take a class on OOP and to explore C#. Though right now I am writing a web based application for virtual airlines to help manage their pilots and in that I am teaching my self php (with alot of help from Dj and this site, almost the best thing I ever stubled across on the web) though once I get php and can create the complete code in my thoughts I will be looking for something else to explore.

Thanks for the replies,
2b