View Full Version : DW CS4 Beta

domedia
06-26-2008, 02:48 PM
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/dreamweavercs4/
Anyone had a look at it yet?

davidj
06-26-2008, 07:34 PM
noticed this...

View your web pages under real-world browser conditions with the new Live View in Dreamweaver — while still retaining direct access to the code. The new rendering mode, which uses the open source rendering engine WebKit, displays your designs like a standards-based browser.

so this doesn't replicate known browsers and their quirks it just generalises

this means that this doesn't reflect real world conditions and therefore you web cats will have to resort to having multiple browser environments once again!

Ha Ha

domedia
06-26-2008, 09:12 PM
so this doesn't replicate known browsers and their quirks it just generalises

this means that this doesn't reflect real world conditions and therefore you web cats will have to resort to having multiple browser environments once again!

Ha Ha

Webkit is a browser engine, Safari among others is using it. All browsers using the same engine is utopia, will never happen :-/ At least DW now has a decent engine in place.

davidj
06-26-2008, 09:29 PM
OK but what is the purpose

OK it replicates safari conditions so at least your safari quirks will be sorted

i just cant seem to grasp the benefit as you will still have to debug through the browser range so what does it offer that the current version doesn't?

Ricky55
06-27-2008, 06:54 AM
I agree Dom this is a decent new feature the Live View, its better that just having the old design view anyway although design view is still present.

It handy for many things, true you will still need to test in the other browsers but it does give you much more of a feel for what you are doing. Just small things like being able to see how links will look when roll over etc it just makes the whole thing easier so you are not constantly viewing in the browser.

When building dynamic content it also updates items properly now using live view where previously you would have had to preview in a browser to see the results.

I can't see how they could do much more than this other than let you choose which engine is powering live view.

Its a step in the right direction anyway.

The interface has changed a bit too brining it more in line with the other apps in the creative suite.

domedia
06-27-2008, 03:09 PM
i just cant seem to grasp the benefit as you will still have to debug through the browser range so what does it offer that the current version doesn't? You're correct, if they don't there will be surprises. DW now also ships with a larger library of HTML/CSS good practices and code hints to get the page working cross browser.