PDA

View Full Version : Flash best option

africano
06-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Hi I just wanted to bounce some ideas around before starting...
One of the sections in my site is going to be a "Photoshop" area where Im going to show some work done in photoshop. I was just thinking whether the best option would be a flash viewer (simpleviewer etc) to show the images or if it would be better(or even possible to simply do this in dreamweaver. Putting thumbnail images and then onclik maiking them big?

Another idea I have is having the image and when the user clicks it it shows the photoshop version.

basically Im trying to see which is the best way to have my section and whether I should use flash etc or I can organize the photo thumbnails on my opage and have them increase in sizxe once clicked.

davidj
06-26-2008, 12:44 PM
thickbox is a nice way to display pics

http://jquery.com/demo/thickbox/

Corrosive
06-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi I just wanted to bounce some ideas around before starting...
One of the sections in my site is going to be a "Photoshop" area where Im going to show some work done in photoshop. I was just thinking whether the best option would be a flash viewer (simpleviewer etc) to show the images or if it would be better(or even possible to simply do this in dreamweaver. Putting thumbnail images and then onclik maiking them big?

Another idea I have is having the image and when the user clicks it it shows the photoshop version.

basically Im trying to see which is the best way to have my section and whether I should use flash etc or I can organize the photo thumbnails on my opage and have them increase in sizxe once clicked.

You could do either (I know, I'm no help at all) Are you thinking about showing the PSD file or just a jpeg of the image??

africano
06-26-2008, 12:49 PM
cheers....I want to achieve something like this...I suppose the best option is one of the flash viewers/apps out there...
http://www.joancharmant.com/

africano
06-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Only the Jpeg image, not the psd......

Corrosive
06-26-2008, 12:51 PM
cheers....I want to achieve something like this...I suppose the best option is one of the flash viewers/apps out there...
http://www.joancharmant.com/

Wow, some of those pics are mental. Remind me sometime and I'll show you 'great photoshop disasters site'. can't remember the URL right now. You could use 'show/hide' layers again?

africano
06-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Layers? like in the dropdown?

Corrosive
06-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Layers? like in the dropdown?

Yes, basically. They are hidden when you load the page, you click on the thumbnails and it 'shows' the layer. Click on another one and it hides the previous layer and shows the new one. It would take some work and there may be simpler options but it is a good exercise in learning this server behaviour for the future.

domedia
06-26-2008, 01:16 PM
adding thumbnails and using the built in onClick is easy to do in DW as well. just open up the manual it's right there :) The behavior names should even give it away ;) (show/hide, openwindow etc)

I love thickbox though.. bit not sure it's the best fit for a 'portfolio' thingy.

Great photoshop work btw..:shock:

Ricky55
06-27-2008, 06:59 AM
just do it in flash like they have if you want it to look like that, not hard and less messing about in DW. I will help you if you want.

africano
06-27-2008, 02:57 PM
yeah, think Im going to do it in Flash, appreciate the help rickky.

africano
06-27-2008, 04:08 PM
What are the best free flash galleries? Ive had a look at simpleviewer and Dfgallery but I want to see if there is anything else out there that is considered better. Im looking in google but cant find nothing.
I can get simple viewer to work but dfgallery the viewer loads up to 20 percent and just stops..

africano
06-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Im experimenting with simpleviewer...and surprisingly Im finding it rather hard to embed it into my page. I know that simpleviewer creates a swf file of the gallery, I can embed this but Ive read if you do it this way you cant have multiple galleries?

Another way is to take the html code and put it into my div where I want the gallery to go. Ive done this but how can I center the gallery and not have it stuck to one side?

Sorry it seems like an easy app to use but its giving me headaches...:confused:

africano
06-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Ive managed to center the viewer inside my tag using the <center> </center> atribute. But how can I LOWER it downwards?
Ive applied this code inside the div id contiendo

<div id="contiendo">
<center>
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0" width="600" height="400">
<param name="movie" value="viewer.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<embed src="viewer.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="400"></embed>
</object>
</center>
</div>
To have the viewer inside my page. Ive got the gallery.xml file inside a folder and the images inside another folder. Images are NOT Displayed.
How should the folder structure be?
Im looking for help from their forum....but to no avail, anyone has experience with simpleviewer?

domedia
06-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Don't use the <center> tag, it's been retired for 10 years, use CSS for design.
#contiendo {text-align: center;}
#contiendo object {margin: 0 auto}

africano
06-27-2008, 06:27 PM
cheers mate, I used the center atribute because on my course theyr teaching us basic html to start out....

the
object {margin: 0 auto} doesnt work for me...

domedia
06-27-2008, 07:23 PM
cheers mate, I used the center atribute because on my course theyr teaching us basic html to start out.... They should teach you Web Standards. Use simple HTML organizing/structuring your content and CSS for any and all styles/layout. :)
I'm not kidding, if they are teaching you to use the <center> tag, ask them about seperating content and style, and about web standards in general. <center> was deprecated in 1997.. 11 years ago
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/graphics.html#edef-CENTER
That's like 110 years in webdev years.

the
object {margin: 0 auto} doesnt work for me... Can you put the page online in a temporary location? I need to see the code context.

africano
06-28-2008, 05:43 PM
I know Domedia....I was lucky that I had some previouse knowledge from before that I knew that css etc is now what is used. I think that they are just trying to teach us basics...dont know really but apparently we are now going to start with css and dreamweaver.... Thats why I signed up for the course anyways!

heres the link to the site/photoshop section. Ive managed to display the simpleviewer (You wont believe me but its been HELL and a real headache just to get this far). Issues: Ive put the wmode:transparent so the dropdown doesnt hide behind the viewer, this has cause the background of the viewer to dissaper. Therefore you cant see that it is stuck at the TOP of the div.
Dont know if you understand....its right at the border at the top...instead of being a bit lower down.
The layout for it is also wrong...I reckon Im going to have to change the thumbnails position, I want the main image to display at a big size, here the test images are hardly visible.

LINK: http://www.elchevirtual.com/photoshop.html

africano
06-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Oh Oh....Im trying to embed a flash video into my page. I think theres a problem with the template. I dont understand because I made it editable....when I try and insert the video it says that this will requiere changes and therefore it wont insert the video!

Anyway of fixing this?

domedia
06-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Oh Oh....Im trying to embed a flash video into my page. I think theres a problem with the template. I dont understand because I made it editable....when I try and insert the video it says that this will requiere changes and therefore it wont insert the video!

Anyway of fixing this? You're trying to embed it into an area of the code that is managed by the template. You need to make sure your cursor is in an editable region, then everything should work fine.

africano
06-28-2008, 10:13 PM
I know.....And I would say my cursor IS in the editable region area...but it doesnt let me.....</div>
<div id="contiendo">I want to put it here..</div>
<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

this is the tag <div id="content"><!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="contenido" -->

Inside this tag I have another div id=contenido ---I can delete it, write text, etc in it so I would say its editable...but it doesnt let me add the flash video.....

The site is up, so if someone wants needs to have a look to figure it out...
cheers.

www.elchevirtual.com