PDA

View Full Version : "Ads by Google"

Rob_Che
06-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Why do so many sites have "Ads by Google"...?

Is this a trade-off for better SEO ?

Cheers
Rob

Corrosive
06-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Kind of. Have you got a Google account?

What you mean is Google 'Adsense'. It can help SEO by targetting keywords and linking other sites to yours via ads. If your keywords are good/correct then it should drive more traffic to your site...which means a better ranking.

You also get paid 'per click' on visitors to your site who click on an ad.

There we go, that's a better explanation!

Rob_Che
06-26-2008, 06:21 AM
Cheers Corrosive - That's what I figured...
I think I do have a google account, I have used their custom search before so.. probably.

I assume from you vast knowledge (:p) that you've them before? How do you set it up? ie; specifying size / number od ads etc. I'd want them to be enclosed in a specific DIV...

Rob

(I live in Doncaster but used to work in Bristol on a Friday night... *shudders* - I'll PM you the place as I'm too embarassed!)

edbr
06-26-2008, 06:55 AM
google gives you code and some choices(of size etc), you can put them where you want, i used it on a couple of sites but wasnt too impressed, but it did no harm thats for sure.

Corrosive
06-26-2008, 07:05 AM
google gives you code and some choices(of size etc), you can put them where you want, i used it on a couple of sites but wasnt too impressed, but it did no harm thats for sure.

edbr is right, you do get some choices of styling, colours, size etc. so that you can blend the ads in with your site. I use the Google Search facility and it works in the same way, just gives you some code to post in your site (feel free to stick it in a div...I would)

Log in to (or create) your Google account and look at the 'webmaster tools'. You'll get a few goodies there including Search Boxes, Site Submission, Keywords and Adsense.

...so you think Google would like to employ me?? :wink:

Corrosive
06-26-2008, 07:06 AM
(I live in Doncaster but used to work in Bristol on a Friday night... *shudders* - I'll PM you the place as I'm too embarassed!)

How bad can it be Rob??

Rob_Che
06-26-2008, 07:18 AM
PM on it's way ! ;)

Rob_Che
06-26-2008, 08:04 AM
EDBR / Corrosive... Thanks for your help.... :)

domedia
06-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Google Adsense - This is when you let Google place ads on your web pages. You get paid on a CPC (pet click) basis. You need some decent traffic to get anything out of it. I woldn't adive anyone messing with their nice design to try to make money from it unless you have at least +1k visitors a month.

Google Adwords - This is when you pay Google to have your link on other websites use of Adsense

There is no SEO benefit/penalty to any of them, but it can help you get more visitors if you're willing to pay for them. :)