PDA

View Full Version : What is Tabless in html

indianleo
06-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Hello Friends, Please explain me what is tabless and how to create it and what are the advantage of tabless is it important to know tabless

domedia
06-23-2008, 03:53 PM
There is nothing called 'Tabless' in HTML.

I think you might mean 'tableless design'. Am I right.
This is simply the web standards approach to HTML, where you're not using HTML tables for creating your layout, but use CSS for it.

edbr
06-24-2008, 01:37 AM
advantages are a better (more precise0 way of creating web pages,and cleaner code which is reputed to be a big advantage for search engine placement ie better ranking

indianleo
06-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks for your valuable reply, yes I want to know about tabless CSS how to do it can anyone know any link which will teach me as well as explain me about it with example

Corrosive
06-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks for your valuable reply, yes I want to know about tabless CSS how to do it can anyone know any link which will teach me as well as explain me about it with example

Try here...

http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/Web-Style-Sheets/DIV-Based-Layout-with-CSS/2/

ramandeep
06-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Indianleo i think you got the term wrong, it is "tableless"

"tableless design" or "tableless code" or "tableless webpage/website" simply means code without the use of tables
<table>,<tr>,<td> etc...
In old times it they were used for the layout instead of tabular data but the modern and right approach says
Layers for layout (structure)
CSS for styling (presentation)

Tables for tabular data

when you follow this it becomes tableless work.

I hope it makes sense :-)

d a v e
06-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Layers for layout (structure)

i think you mean *divs* not 'layers'.

'layers' are what wysiwyg apps have mistakenly referred to as absolutely positioned divs.

edbr
06-25-2008, 01:03 AM
no, they are still layers,

domedia
06-25-2008, 02:31 AM
The term 'layer' has a bad history :)
Netscape had a proprietary <layer> back in the day, and DW started calling absolutely positioned DIV's 'layers' since version 2 I think. When I hear 'layer' I think of DIV's stacked in z-index order.

Usually you can tell what people mean by context though, be it NS <layer> AP layer or z-index layer ;)

2bz2p
06-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Hi,

So if I get this straight as long as you use tables in this fashion:

Name Rank Meal#
jenkins PVT 9342

And use the tables for that only, your site will be consider a tableless layout?

Which brings me to my next question is their any way to setup this data style using CSS.

Thanks
2b

domedia
06-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi,

So if I get this straight as long as you use tables in this fashion:

Name Rank Meal#
jenkins PVT 9342

And use the tables for that only, your site will be consider a tableless layout?

Correct
Which brings me to my next question is their any way to setup this data style using CSS. Yes you can do it with a whole lot of DIV's etc, but why would you? Using tables for tabular data is correct, and you can style all the TR's, TH's and TD's

2bz2p
06-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Sounds good thank you