PDA

View Full Version : Where to begin creating this type of gallery?

mikkmike
06-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Hey all

Another gallery question here :P, a very noob question I'm expecting but I've only been using dreamweaver and doing html for the past few weeks so there's still alot im not sure how to do.

Anyway a pretty simple question I hope, basically I'm looking at a gallery on my website with a layout something like this. Setting up the layout is easy enough what Im wondering is, how would I go about having it so when i click one of the 5 thumbnails the main picture changes to the large version of the desired thumbnail. All without having to reload the browser as I'm not to keen on making a million seperate pages :P

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/9931/howds8.jpg

Also is it possible to do the same with the arrow buttons, so when they are clicked each of the thumbnails change?

Hopefully what I'n thinking of isnt to hard, have searched the forum and google but seem to be having no luck,

Thanks,
Mike

m1a2x3x7
06-18-2008, 05:52 PM
What are you better at flash or ajax? For me this would be to much work for me using ajax because i dont really know ajax.

I would create a flash script that would pull the images from an mxl file and use that.

If you dont know either i would suggest using google and find an already made gallery and modify it.

domedia
06-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Another option, not as nice as the 2 mentioned, would be to preload all the images when the page loads, and use the DOM to just replace the source of the larger image. But this requires some solid JS knowledge, and based on what you said in your post I think these are all above what you'll be able to make right now.

Has anyone used enough extensions in DW to give a road ahead for something like this? When I was a DW superuser (years back *Cough*) I made similar galleries.

Rob_Che
06-18-2008, 08:41 PM
I did this gallery (http://www.thewrenchmag.com/galleries/gallery-1/gallery-1.html)...
I based it on a tutorial that I can't find... it uses external images - brilliant for updating / duplicating.

Corrosive
06-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Hey all

Another gallery question here :P, a very noob question I'm expecting but I've only been using dreamweaver and doing html for the past few weeks so there's still alot im not sure how to do.

Anyway a pretty simple question I hope, basically I'm looking at a gallery on my website with a layout something like this. Setting up the layout is easy enough what Im wondering is, how would I go about having it so when i click one of the 5 thumbnails the main picture changes to the large version of the desired thumbnail. All without having to reload the browser as I'm not to keen on making a million seperate pages :P

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/9931/howds8.jpg

Also is it possible to do the same with the arrow buttons, so when they are clicked each of the thumbnails change?

Hopefully what I'n thinking of isnt to hard, have searched the forum and google but seem to be having no luck,

Thanks,
Mike

You checked out simple viewer? Might save you a load of time and grief.

Ricky55
06-18-2008, 10:30 PM
You could do a nice job of this in flash, dynamic loading in of the images from XML has been mentioned and although this would work well you may be trying to run before you can walk.

I would aim to just setup a fairly basic flash document, that just loads in the jpg's into the main window as they are needed and worry about more complicated things at a later stage.

If you want I can send you a flash fla file that wouldn't need too much modifying to make this work.

Ricky55
06-18-2008, 10:32 PM
I'll help you modify the file if you are willing to learn.

Ricky55
06-18-2008, 10:35 PM
I helped another user of this forum set this up, although the look may not be what you want and the thumbnails are on the left and not scrolling in principal its the same.

http://www.leahstoys.co.uk/star%20wars%20figures/boba%20fett/index.html

edbr
06-19-2008, 03:32 AM
if you check cssplay (stu nichols) there is many galleries for you including i think the one you show, google for it but i think it is www,cssplay.co.uk

mikkmike
06-19-2008, 03:35 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, ive checked out simpleviewer and its exactly what I'm after :D working well too.

Thanks for your offer Ricky :) Was about to take you up on it but thought I'd check out simpleviewer first to save you any hassles lol

Ricky55
06-19-2008, 09:11 AM
No worries mate.

Corrosive
06-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, ive checked out simpleviewer and its exactly what I'm after :D working well too.

The clue is in the title, as in 'simple' (bloody easy) 'viewer' (for pictures). Glad that was of some use mike. :wink: