PDA

View Full Version : new and wondering

confucious
06-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi all - I had a question about Dreamweaver as a general web building tool for beginners.

Basically, I am wondering if it is entirely unrealistic to think that with a month or two of hardcore reading/practicing with Dreamweaver 8 I could build a functional retail site complete with "shopping cart" and "check-out". I have no problem with the photography, I have the product, I have even used/run a website for the same business, but I want to create and manage my own so I don't have to pay someone else every time I want to change a core part of the site.

Do you think it is necessary that I take a course on Dreamweaver next time it comes up in my city? Bottom line, I don't want my site looking shoddy but want to control it.

Would love some constructive advice! THanks for any and all input!!

Lawrence

davidj
06-17-2008, 10:39 PM
OK

do you have a budget

you don't need dreamweaver to do what you want as there are carts and shops which just need some setting up and your off

the one i have used before is actinic

http://www.actinic.co.uk/index.shtml

although it costs i found it very powerful with design, stock, invoicing, tax and payment gateways all controlled from the console from your PC

i don't have experience of others to comment but there will be loads out there.

you don't have the time nor the skill to develop something robust and secure enough through dreamweaver.

confucious
06-20-2008, 05:51 PM
THanks for your quick reply - I will take a look at the site recommended. I have looked into a few of the pre-made "template" suppliers and found them to be quite limiting...am hoping yours will be broader in scope.

ONce again, thanks!

davidj
06-20-2008, 07:25 PM
its very powerful but you pay for that level of control