PDA

View Full Version : Do I start my pages with PHP?

VonUlrich
06-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Hello...I will make this questions a streamlined as possible. I am a complete 100% newbie. Starting my website from scratch, want to include customer comment page suggested I look into, learn and use PHP. With my learning curve Comment page will be delayed.
What do I do now, at the start of construction of my web page, to insure that a little down the road when I am ready to add data driven content that the basic structure will be in place to accommodate this?

Secondly ...what is the best way to design my basic "site concept"? I read in a post here to design it in Photoshop first then cut it up and export it to Dreamweaver. Please keep in mind that I will be experimenting with layouts and moving things around to get a feel for things.

lux
06-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Q2. If your an accomplished Photoshop user then it can be a very powerfull piece of software to use for quickly creating web page layouts. My suggestion is to get your pencil and paper out first. Its even quickly to draw a design (or many designs). Then when your happy with your paper based design transfer it into Photoshop where you will be able to cut it up and begin to code your site.

Q1. Before learning PHP make sure you have a firm grip of HTML and CSS. Then take a look through the great PHP tutorial videos on this site. They contain everything you need to know to start using PHP.

Hope that helps

davidj
06-11-2008, 02:29 PM
yes you need to understand the basics before even trying to understand PHP

domedia
06-11-2008, 05:44 PM
And might I add: before slicing anything from Photoshop, you need to know HTML/CSS, because this is where you'll use your images and background images.
Have a look at some of the tutorials on adobe's website, they should help you as well. http://www.adobe.com

davidj
06-11-2008, 07:14 PM
i dont think your ready to take this on

there is allot to learn

VonUlrich
06-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence...lol. I am not on Adobes website but I do have a membership to lynda.Com which I am making good use of. Even though I know I do not have technical competency I was hoping to just get some basic direction on which way to go. Thanks for the input.

davidj
06-12-2008, 06:42 AM
build a few sites using HTML and CSS. don't rush them.

use photoshop to get yourself up to speed with this also.

enjoy the learning curve

you will know when your ready to start with a programming language

ill meet you back here in a year or two!