PDA

View Full Version : Dropdown menus...

africano
06-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Hi....Im trying to make a dropdown menu. Ivwe had a look at these two examples....http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dropdowns/
http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/navigation/auto_hide/index.htm

I can go through both the tutorials and get them working, but I can seem to apply the method to my own work in Dreamweaver. After viewing the code I can see that there are diferences... They seem to setup their buttons using lists.....this is my code

<div id="navbar">
<div id="navbutton4" style="position:absolute; z-index:4"><a href="testlayout.htm">Contacto</a></div>
<div id="navbutton3" style="position:absolute; z-index:3"><a href="testlayout.htm">Portfolio</a></div>
<div id="navbutton2" style="position:absolute; z-index:2"><a href="testlayout.htm">Info</a></div>
<div id="navbutton1" style="position:absolute; z-index:1"><a href="testlayout.htm">Inicio</a></div>
</div>
Ive been trying everything but cant seem to fit...I would like to know what Im doing wrong and some advice so I can keep trying,
cheers.

Corrosive
06-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Hi....Im trying to make a dropdown menu. Ivwe had a look at these two examples....http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dropdowns/
http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/navigation/auto_hide/index.htm

I can go through both the tutorials and get them working, but I can seem to apply the method to my own work in Dreamweaver. After viewing the code I can see that there are diferences... They seem to setup their buttons using lists.....this is my code
<div id="navbar">
<div id="navbutton4" style="position:absolute; z-index:4"><a href="testlayout.htm">Contacto</a></div>
<div id="navbutton3" style="position:absolute; z-index:3"><a href="testlayout.htm">Portfolio</a></div>
<div id="navbutton2" style="position:absolute; z-index:2"><a href="testlayout.htm">Info</a></div>
<div id="navbutton1" style="position:absolute; z-index:1"><a href="testlayout.htm">Inicio</a></div>
</div>
Ive been trying everything but cant seem to fit...I would like to know what Im doing wrong and some advice so I can keep trying,
cheers.

Morning mate. Good win for Spain last night!

Why are you going to use drop down menus? You have four pages and maybe a 'simple viewer' gallery for your photos. DD's are fine and I can talk you through it if you mail me but we probably all do them in slightly different ways and they are only useful if you have loads of content or pages to index...again, you had four when I left you :confused:

africano
06-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Hi just emailed you.....before seing your reply on here...I think that for my Portfolio button Im going to need a dropdown menu to access different areas: Photograpy:3D:ETC....

I first thought of having a sub menu on the left for this but I feel that a dropdown may be better?

Basically my Idea is: Index page-pano viewer(this is taken care of) and some text below it
Portfolio-Sections-Photo-Panos-3D-ETC
Info - Personal info + CV
Contact - Contact info + form

I know it might all look too optimistic for my current knowledge and skills, but Im planning on taking it slow, learning and maybe at the end Ill have something good

Corrosive
06-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi just emailed you.....before seing your reply on here...I think that for my Portfolio button Im going to need a dropdown menu to access different areas: Photograpy:3D:ETC....

I first thought of having a sub menu on the left for this but I feel that a dropdown may be better?

Ok, I can't access my e-mails until I get home ('bout 5pm GMT). You know the three image buttons we put down the left...I was assuming that these would link into your galleries no? Otherwise, what are they there for?

How many categories of photos so you want? This is why I suggested planning your site before you finalised the design. It's cool to play around until you get what you want but planning is essential or you will undo your good work. Trust me, I learnt this the hard way.

domedia
06-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Good win for Spain last night! Talk about dominating the game!

Corrosive
06-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Talk about dominating the game!

Yep, puts England to shame as we couldn't put a dent in Russia at their place. Plastic pitch, my ar*e...Steve McClaren ruined our summer!! :(