PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Domains for a site & Google Search Results


JamesTaylor
06-08-2008, 01:00 PM
A site i designed a while back has a number of domains that link to it, the domains are rbunton.co.uk, buntonplant.com and buntons.co.uk.

It has been spotted that depending on what is searched for via google that any 1 of the 3 domains can be returned. The problem i am facing is that only rbunton.co.uk returns a search entry with the information that indicates that the link is to the buntons plant hire page.

If a search returns the link rbunton.co.uk google displays the title as Welcome to Buntons Plant Hire and a descriptive passage of text as usual. However, if the a search returns the link of either buntons.co.uk or buntonplant.com google displays the title as Untitled Document and doesn't provide a passage of descriptive text. Obviously returning these results isn't ideal!

i guess this isn't a major issue to correct but i haven't ever had to deal with this scenario before and don't know where to start with it to be honest! I'm presuming i need to add some kind of meta tag to indicate what info should be used for each domain name?

Any help on resolving this issue would be much appreciated and would help leave me with a happy client!!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=1B2GGFB_enGB221GB221&q=bunton+plant&btnG=Search&meta=

if you check out the link above it shows what i've tried to describe in google. The top result rbunton.co.uk is displaying correctly however the 5th result down buntonplant.com just shows as Untitled where it should display as the top result does.

domedia
06-09-2008, 02:22 PM
There serious issues with the domain management for these 3 sites.

1. You should never have multiple domain names display the exact same website.
2. You should never use a meta refresh redirect.

Set up a 301 redirect (if you're running apache) from the 2 other domains, to the one domain that you decide to use.

JamesTaylor
06-10-2008, 11:29 AM
thanks for the feed back...

i did some digging around after posting and came to the same conclusion that you've pointed out.

Unfortunately i don't supply the hosting for the site and the various domains exist from prior to my involvement with the client. I think its stemmed from the guy who supplies their hosting and IT services and is still involved with them. Anyway i've been onto him, the it guy, and left the ball in his court for now and have informed the client, so we'll see what comes of it over the next few days!