PDA

View Full Version : Problems connecting to my webserver

Pippa
06-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi, I am having problems connecting to my remote webserver with my new copy of Dreamweaver CS3

When I test the FTP connection I get an error message
I can connect without problems to the remote host using Microsoft Frontpage and the exact same FTP address, login, and password
I do not think that Dreamweaver is being blocked by Norton Antivirus, or by my windows firewall, though I did get a security warning of some kind during installation
Things I have tried without success
My hosting company told me to either leave the host directory box blank or put a / in it. Neither of these options work
I have tried checking the ‘use passive FTP’ box
I have tried putting a colon and the port number after the FTP address
I have tried writing the FTP address with and without the ftp:// symbol
I have tried setting the FTP time out preferences at 60secs, 30 secs, 120 secs, 10 secs, and 5 secs
I have downloaded the latest updates from Adobe
I am wondering if there is anything else I should try, or if I should uninstall and reinstall the product. I would much appreciate any advice you can offer

Pippa

davidj
06-08-2008, 05:26 PM
dont use dreamweaver as an ftp client

Pippa
06-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi

Thank you for your reply, but could you explain?

dont use dreamweaver as an ftp client

I have purchased dreamweaver to edit and publish my webpages - it was recommended to me for this purpose and I was told that in this respect, it would be an improvement on frontpage (which is extremely easy to use)

Have I been misled?

Pippa

davidj
06-08-2008, 07:17 PM
ok

dreamweaver is a nice tool to create web sites. you have a local / remote dir setup as your production server on your local machine whic is good. This is where you build your master piece. I would never use a production tool to make a site live. You should build / add / edit your site and when ready close dreamweaver and use a dedicated FTP prog like CUTE or COFFEE CUP to make your pages live

Pippa
06-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi David
Many thanks for taking the time to reply.
Last night I tried disabling Norton Internet Security, which solved my problem. I don’t understand why as Dreamweaver was listed under my Norton Firewall preferences as ‘permits all’
My Norton was version 2006, so I downloaded Norton 2007, and the problem has gone
However, I have taken on board your advice and will look into the advantages of using a dedicated FTP programme
Looking forward to working with dreamweaver now. Thanks again
Pippa

Pippa
06-09-2008, 11:16 AM
I have no idea why my previous post is displaying tags
Sorry:confused:

Pippa

domedia
06-09-2008, 03:32 PM
However, I have taken on board your advice and will look into the advantages of using a dedicated FTP programme If it works for you, no reason to fix it.

davidj
06-09-2008, 04:46 PM
which means you would have 2 sites setup for PRODUCTION and LIVE

Im not a web developer so im not 100% of the setup but unless your using the live machine as a development machine and using a .htaccess to lockout Joe public how would you manage this?

Would you have 2 sites defined with one being production and the other being live

My thoughts on this would be any changes would be developed on the production then once tested you would upload to the LIVE machine. Now because maintaining a dual site setup in dreamweaver is bad practice and using a development IDE to update a live change seems a little open to mistakes.

domedia
06-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Using DW to develop and publish a hobby website works just fine (omho). In a professional environment, you would use a version control system (like CVS).