PDA

View Full Version : Help with Linking "Variable" Text

Jimdrang
06-08-2008, 07:00 AM
Hello,

I have recently been trying to learn Dreamweaver and am having some problems when I try to create a multi page website.

I have no background with html/webcode so I only understand the Dreamweaver interface from video tutorials and playing with it.

What I am trying to accomplish: I have a homepage in which the main area is a table with 1 column and it has about 20-30 rows. Each row starts out with 2-3 word "heading" that is also a web link to the next page for each row and then has a longer 2-3 line description. Nothing is defined in the rows other than the first couple words being the web link. It is just text formatting other than that.

I would like to set it up where whatever the name of the link the user clicks on gets carried over into another section of the seconds page as a heading for a form the user is filling out.

The only way I can think to do this now would be to create 20-30 copies of the 2nd page and then link to a separate one just to change this 2 word heading, but there has to be a better/easier way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob_Che
06-08-2008, 07:20 AM
You could have form where the first drop down box contains the first 20 headings and the user chooses one ?

Welcome by the way Jimdrang.

There are much better ways tho I'm sure (just thinking lateraly) - I'm sure you'll find what you need here :)

Rob

Jimdrang
06-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Thanks Rob.

I'd like to keep the layout the same because the first page is kind of like a list of items and a preview of the description and then when they click on one, I want to load that text to a different area in page 2 and then fill out the complete description above a form a created.

davidj
06-08-2008, 09:40 AM
you can do this using PHP

how much PHP do you know and do you have a web server installed

Jimdrang
06-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi David

I don't have much PHP experience at all, although when I was trying to learn how to make a webpage I did watch the entire series on PHP from killerphp.com but it was very basic and the main problem is that even if I understand php, I don't understand html enough to know where to put the php so that it works.

thanks

davidj
06-08-2008, 11:37 PM
you need to learn HTML

this is step one

then try out my tutorials

there is no quick fix for this as you will need to allocate time to learn this stuff

its like you have applied for a job as commercial diver but have yet to learn how to swim. Its going to take time to get savy with this stuff.

i am setting up one to one tuition on here very soon (fee based)

you may get something out of it