PDA

View Full Version : Site beginnings like the pros

Coldblackice
06-07-2008, 09:17 AM
What is the standard process of designing a new website?

For example: http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/index.html

How would you pros go about designing something like this? Was this all "painted" in photoshop, then cut up? Or was the background laid down by handcoded CSS, then the next background color layer, then the banner designed, and so forth. (i realize we'll have to use our figurative imaginations :)

I'm trying to get a feel of the process from start to finish on how the industry pros go about doing it (after they've talked with their clients about the general feel, info, etc.)

Corrosive
06-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi

If you select 'view source' in your browser then you can see that this site is a table based design with only text styled as CSS. Looks to me like they have created the images they wanted in photoshop and then placed them in tables for the design. Not the way I would have gone about it (I am not a 'pro' by the way). I would have started by using CSS for the layout and then used the images as backgrounds in the DIV tags.

Rob_Che
06-07-2008, 09:43 AM
What I would do if I were you (I'm not a pro either)...

Google "CSS layout tutorial"... or even "CSS layout template)...
Go through a tutorial and start hacking it to pieces... change some values and see what it does to the design. You will have a html file (that will hold all your css references but also all your text/image links etc) ... it will all be styled (page position/text size/link style) by an external style sheet.

For example - change a margin from 10px to 1000px and watch the <div> (container) shoot across the screen and completely fubar your design !!

That's what I did (and still do)

Rob

domedia
06-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Didn't we just have a exact similar thread last week?
Anyone have the link?

Corrosive
06-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Didn't we just have a exact similar thread last week?
Anyone have the link?

Yes mate, this one is almost the same...

http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27973