PDA

View Full Version : Create from web-based program

italialiving
06-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Hello. I run a website with macwebsitebuilder.com that is strictly web-based. I am happy with the look of my site, however, wanting to add some new features such as a members area, etc., is very limiting since they do not accept any PHP, etc.

I am thinking of purchasing Dreamweaver, but am trying to find out if it is fairly easy to just copy the html code I've created from my current web-based site, and enter it into the Dreamweaver program to re-create the site? Or would it be a completely different type of programming from just basic html?

I don't know much about programming, which is why I've liked the ease of what I'm currently using...but finding out about it's limits now too.

Thank you for any insight! :)
-Richard
http://www.italialiving.com

Rob_Che
06-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Hey Italialiving, welcome !

Did you design the header ? looks nice ;)

Looking at the code you should be able to paste it over into a HTML editor (but I haven't tried)...

One problem you will face with the code is that it is a table based design and is far from valid.
See here re validating sites - http://validator.w3.org/docs/why.html

With such a simple layout (no offence :)) it may be worth starting again in CSS. This will get you a valid site and much more freedom of design.

So... in answer to your question; You should be able to copy and paste the code over but probably worth starting again. As you're new to Dreamweaver it's worth starting as you mean to go on (saves getting into bad habits like the rest of us :p)

Rob

davidj
06-07-2008, 08:39 AM
thats a nice site italia

rob is our resident artist / talented git but after seeing your work i reckon you may end up getting wacked by the talented one

id like to see some more work you have done

Coldblackice
06-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Rob,

isn't he using CSS as is? I looked at his pages source code and it references a css file?

What's the problem with tables?

davidj
06-07-2008, 08:51 AM
tables were never meant to be used to construct a web page. Tables are for tabular data. With a table your layout options are left, center, right but with CSS you have total control over position by the pixel. Also your styles are held in a separate file so if you change a width or a height then that will cascade through your site for those elements that use that style. if you move or merge a table cell then you have to manually do that through out your site

bottom line is that CSS gives you more control

Rob_Che
06-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Rob,
isn't he using CSS as is? I looked at his pages source code and it references a css file?
What's the problem with tables?

Hey Coldblackice,
Yes there are CSS references (for links etc I assume) but CSS isn't being used for the layout. CSS is much more powerful than just changing the colour of links and hover styles.

Rob

Rob_Che
06-07-2008, 09:12 AM
I reckon you may end up getting wacked by the talented (!?) one

I'm on it ! (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=horses+head&meta=)

Coldblackice
06-07-2008, 09:13 AM
ahh ok.

how can you tell that tables is being used over CSS?

Rob_Che
06-07-2008, 09:19 AM
If you look at the source code there are many references to "table cellspacing" etc but also the <tr> & <td> tags refer to the table and cells within a table.

There isn't an style sheet attached as such... the styles are within the header:

<style>
a.link:link {font:bold 12px Times;color:000000; text-decoration:none;}
a.link:visited {font:bold 12px Times;color:000000; text-decoration:none;}
a.link:hover {font:bold 12px Times;color:000000; text-decoration:none;}

td.link {padding:2px 10px 2px 10px; cursor:hand;}

font.divider {font:12px Times; color:FFFFFF}
div.body {font:14px arial; color:000000;}

body {font:13px arial; color:000000;}
td {font:13px arial; color:000000;}
a:link {color:A00000;}
a:visited {color:green;}
a:hover {color:cc0000}
</style>

Rob_Che
06-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Here's an example of CSS being used for a layout:

#sidelinks {
width: 180px;
height: 248px;
float: left;
margin: 50px 0px 5px 0px;
}

You can precisely position a <div> (this is just a container) by pixel values.

Coldblackice
06-07-2008, 09:26 AM
much clearer. thanks rob

italialiving
06-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice and compliments!

Unfortunately I can't take the credit for the designs on the site. I knew what I wanted and described it well to a great design firm of people in Chile, Boutique Grafica. I then took the designs, images, etc., and created the site using this web-based editor. But due to my growth and plans, just need more flexibility now. Guessing Dreamweaver will fit the bill...with some learning now...having no experience in this stuff. Current site to run is so easy with simple html...but limiting to.

I actually need to recreate the site fairly quickly to get it up and running on this new platform. Guess I will purchase Dreamweaver and see how quick I can do this myself...or else may need to just pay someone to at least set it up for me.

Is it worth purchasing one of the Dreamweaver programs with Illustrator combined?
Thanks again!

-Richard

Cary
06-08-2008, 09:28 AM
DW will load your code, no problem. You should try the 30-day trial of DW before you buy it, just to be sure about purchasing it. It includes a tutorial under the Getting Started section of the Help menu.

The cheapest package with both DW and Illustrator would be CS3 Web Premium, which also includes Photoshop, Fireworks and Flash.