PDA

View Full Version : Which database?

hhsottawa
06-03-2008, 09:31 PM
I've been using Dreamweaver for a few months and I've designed and posted a static site. Now I want to develop a database driven site. I have MS Access but what's the general concensus about databases and Dreamweaver? Which is best...MySQL or Access?

davidj
06-03-2008, 10:13 PM
if you use Access then your looking at using ASP

its a capable language but normaly costs more to host as it would normally be on a windows box. The natural progresion from ASP would be to go down the .NET route

open source is another option like PHP. This marries well with MYSQL. I sugest you try that. Also dont use Dreamweaver tools to build your Apps. Learn how to hand code

check my signature for tutorials

Ricky55
06-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Its OK saying that but some people don't want to learn PHP I know I didn't. I've been using MySQL with Dreamweaver and Coldfusion and I've found it be really good.

I know its more flexible to code yourself but I just don't have the time or the inclination to learn PHP I have enough on trying to master CSS and all the other programs I need to use.

Each to their own I guess I'm just saying there's more than one way.

I did an excellent course from Lynda.com on Dynamic development in Dreamweaver and I learn loads.

davidj
06-04-2008, 07:32 AM
its fair to say that somewhere down the line your going to require a function thats outside the drag-n-drop scope of Dreamweaver. Its normally a client which wants this. Also when something goes wrong or you have a syntax error there is no button in dreamweaver called [fix errors]

when dreamweaver writes code, a login page for example, it does not know if your using access levels where pages are locked depending on account level. It writes all the functions and code to accommodate this but assigns the variables to false if its not needed.

Why write code if its not needed?

for every 10 lines of code dreamweaver writes i can write 1 - 2 and do the same thing

I agree that cold fusion is another option and is a powerful one at that but does not have the clout or take up that PHP does. If you choose which ever language learn to hand code it. I cant stress this enough.

I know its more flexible to code yourself but I just don't have the time or the inclination to learn PHP I have enough on trying to master CSS and all the other programs I need to use.

As long as you can develop your apps using the wizard then fine but my biggest pisser is when a harry potter {term i use for wizard operators} asks for help with a section of code where they have found dreamweaver does not do what they want and require help from someone who has had the time or the inclination to learn the languages. So how do i help someone who doesn't understand what I'm on about? I cant tell them to use an ARRAY or that their LOOP is incorrectly written so how do i help? What do harry potters want from me when they ask for help?

They want me to fix their shite code which they never wrote in the first place. Dreamweaver did!

In a professional environment using these wizards would get you laughed out of the office. Leave them well alone.

Ricky55
06-04-2008, 01:38 PM
You've put your finger on it in a professional web development environment but we are not all professional web developers.

domedia
06-04-2008, 02:12 PM
True, we have everything from 'help I started using DW 5 minutes ago' to 'building a website for my church because I want to help them' to 'I have been working with web apps for 15 years' :)

Ricky55
06-04-2008, 08:47 PM
And thats what makes this forum great

domedia
06-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Absolutely, just a bunch of people that use DW, although I have to confess I use it less and less now :-(

hhsottawa
06-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Ricky55...I noted your comments and paid a visit to lynda.com.....very informative.
Davidj...I also take 'on-board' what you say about learning to hand code, I think it would be helpful to have some knowledge for those sticky situations.
Based on that, I think I'll give PHP and MYSQL a look.

davidj
06-04-2008, 10:15 PM
hhsottawa

just follow the tutorials and come back if your stuck

it wont be long before your helping the harry potters