PDA

View Full Version : Template Problem

swift098
06-02-2008, 01:51 AM
Hi, i'm having a problem.

When i make a new html from my template, there are a number of things that do not transfer over.

Things such as the background image, the text settings, the alignments.
I think it may all my connected to my style sheet but i can't figure out how to fix it.

Help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

domedia
06-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Did you set up the site definitions in DW first?

swift098
06-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Yes i did, i built the site in DW, not starting in just notepad if i get what you mean. perhaps im confused.

domedia
06-02-2008, 08:27 PM
The first step before you start making the site, is to set up site definitions in DW. This is covered early in the manual :) If you don't have this set up, paths to images etc is often wrong.

swift098
06-02-2008, 11:05 PM
k i actually figure out my problem... kinda...
The thing was that when i made a new html from my template the stylesheet became disconnected. all i had to do was do the "attach style sheet" thing and everything restored.

How is it i attach the style sheet to the template? to make sure it remains with every new html i make?

Corrosive
06-03-2008, 07:19 AM
k i actually figure out my problem... kinda...
The thing was that when i made a new html from my template the stylesheet became disconnected. all i had to do was do the "attach style sheet" thing and everything restored.

How is it i attach the style sheet to the template? to make sure it remains with every new html i make?

Either save a clean, blank template of the layout you want, with the style sheet linked in, and revert to this for every new page. Or use the 'attach style sheet' button (it's underneath the CSS styles dialogue box at the top right of your screen) which looks like a piece of paper with a chain link on it.

swift098
06-03-2008, 12:15 PM
k i can't seem to fix it. i guess i'll just have to link it for every new page i make.

Thanks for the help!

d a v e
06-03-2008, 12:19 PM
you shuoldn't have to do that if it's linked to the template it will apply to every page (assuming the link to the sheet isn't in an editable region)

domedia
06-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Did you or did you not set up site definition on your site before developing? lol
( 3rd time asking )

swift098
06-04-2008, 12:29 PM
agh, i'm still confused about what you mean by site definitions. i did the whole folder setup junk when i made a "new site", could you be a little more specific domedia? im sorry im not very experienced with this kind of stuff.

and dave, the css is linked OUTside my editable region, i have no idea why its choosing to not stick wit it.

domedia
06-04-2008, 01:09 PM
agh, i'm still confused about what you mean by site definitions.

Then why didn't you tell me that when I told you first time? *sigh* I'm trying to help you here.

Check the manual that came with your software.
It's also available in LiveDocs:
http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Dreamweaver/9.0/WScbb6b82af5544594822510a94ae8d65-7f61.html

d a v e
06-04-2008, 02:51 PM
... and by pressing F1 for help.

swift098
06-04-2008, 08:48 PM
k. domedia i apologize, i now understand what you mean by site definitions, and that is what i thought it meant originally. so yes. i have set up my site definitions, all folder paths are where they are supposed to be.

but i still have my template issue.