PDA

View Full Version : Different Browser Interpretations

Ricky55
05-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Doing a web page for someone at the moment, it's just a page not a full site.

As always I'm finding that all the browsers display the page differently, we all know about IE 6's inconsistancies but I'm even finding that IE 7 is positioning things differently to Safari and Firefox.

I just wondered how you guys deal with this. For IE 6 and lower I have just added separate styles but what about IE7?

Is there a simple way to just target IE7? or is this there a better way?

I'd include a link but its not live yet.

domedia
05-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Only thing I can think about would be different default margins/padding. If this is the issue, you simply have to set the box properties in CSS.

Hard to say because you don't really describe your problem further than that they are different.

I don't know of anyone that is using a separate stylesheet for IE7. I don't really see why a separate stylesheet for IE6 is needed. There's fixes for all of IE6 CSS bugs.

Ricky55
05-29-2008, 06:36 PM
No I"m not using a separate style sheet for IE 6 just one or two IE 6 only styles.

One of the problems is with absolutely positioned DIV, in IE 7 it's just in the same location (its some text that needs to line up with an image logo), its not vastly different but enough to make it look wrong.

So how would you tackle this problem for instance.

The code controlling the location of the Div in question:

.rhaNote {
position: absolute;
right: 20px;
top: 486px;
text-align: right;
}

Ricky55
05-29-2008, 06:37 PM
just read that back and it doesn't make sense, its just that Div is positioned slightly differently in IE 7 than in Firefox.

domedia
05-29-2008, 06:48 PM
My guess is that it is default margins or padding on the element. Let me know when you can get this temporary somewhere on the web. I need some specifics to help ya :)

Ricky55
05-29-2008, 08:24 PM
ok mate,

just one thing when you say default margins or padding on the element could I zero these out on this element, would this help?

domedia
05-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Yes, setting them to anything would override the default settings.

Ricky55
05-30-2008, 03:24 AM
ok mate I'll give this a try. cheers

Ricky55
05-30-2008, 03:36 PM
That worked mate, cheers.