PDA

View Full Version : Embed Multiple swf movies

jadepearl
05-26-2008, 04:47 AM
Hi there!

I was wondering if there is a way or a tutorial which allows me to embed several swf movies on a single page by clicking on the tumbnails? I am using Dreamweaver MX 2004.

*Thumbnail 1* *Thumbnail 2*

swf movie will be played
here when the thumbnail
is clicked.

Yup, I am very new in dreamweaver and flash but am eager to lear.

Thanks so much!

Ricky55
05-26-2008, 09:31 AM
This can be done but I think your are using the wrong terminology when you say embed.

The process of embedding a swf file is the actual linking of the swf into the html page so it displays.

The easiest way and best is to just do all of this in Flash (your two thumbnails and the loading in of the external swfs)

If you want the thumbnails to be separate from the flash file, i.e. just part of a regular html page then this is more tricky. In fact the only way I can think of is to use Frames, this method does work well but Frames are regarded as antiquated these days and have been replaced with CSS methods.

I think there are other ways of doing this but your best bet would be just to do the whole of it in Flash. I can help you do this if you want.

Ricky55

Ricky55
05-26-2008, 09:37 AM
before starting in flash though ask your self, do I need to use Flash for this content, am I using animation etc If not just use regular techniques. You could use the swap image behaviour if you had the more recent Dreamweaver CS3 you could use the Spry appear / fade this provides a nice fading in effect.

jadepearl
05-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi Ricky55,

I am so new to all these and I guess I have used the wrong terminology. I don't mind if the whole thing is designing it with Flash. However, I am very new with Flash too. I have Flash 8.

Thanks for replying to my post and for your help!

Ricky55
05-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Well use Flash but I would only use it if you need to i.e. your page has animation or you're wanting to some kind of effect that you can't get with a regular web page.

Don't get me wrong I love Flash, if you do want to start using Flash then you need to do some training.

There's a really good tutorial on this site

http://www.gotoandlearn.com/

If you scroll down to the external swf preloading tutorial, this shows you how to do what you want to do.

This site is excellent but a lot of the tutorials are quite advanced, some very advanced so you may be better trying some basics courses first. Try the external swf preloading one and see how you go. If you don't understand it all try looking else where first.

Have you looked on Lynda.com or cartoonsmart.com

This site also has some good free tutshttp://www.swinburne.edu.au/design/tutorials/

Let me know if you need any more help.

Ricky55

jadepearl
05-27-2008, 01:51 AM
Thanks for your reply. Will check it out! :)