PDA

View Full Version : Partial Page Change

tonyhandlebars
05-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Hello All,

Excuse the elementary nature of this question - I am self taught with Dreamweaver so some fairly basic stuff can pass me by.

The problem - I have designed a page which has a book resting open on a desk.

Pressing a button takes the viewer onto the next pair of pages.

To keep file sizee small I assume ideally I would only have the central book are of the page changing, not the surrounding desk that remains looking the same. How is this done (Or even what is it called so I can pinpoint the technique in my manual).

A previous enquiry advised me that having entire pages loading when 'next' iss clicked wouldn't be a problem as the browser cache would 'remember' the ssurrounding area that doesn't change and so not need to reload it repeatedly - this doesn't quite sound right, after all, how would the browser 'know' what elements had changed and what had not.

Many thanks

Tonyhandlebars

domedia
05-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Welcome to the forums tony!
It's called browser cache. When the browser is asked to load 'book.jpg' it just loads it from the users machine instead.

tonyhandlebars
05-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi again.

I don't think I made myself clear. Apologies.

I know the general way a browser cache works - what I need to know is how to have the surrounding images load from the cache, and only the central book area from the site each time 'next' is pressed.

Is it enough to do different full dreamweaver pages for each new page, and use the same jpegs for surrounding areas each time, and a different one for each new book page. Will the browser recognise what jpegs it has, and that the book ones are the only ones that are changing, so only take thos from the site?

Many thanks

tonyhandlebars
05-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Cheers for that, it seems obvious now you've pointed it out!

Thanks

Tonyhandlebars