PDA

View Full Version : Drop Shadow And Rounded corners Problem

jon015
05-20-2008, 04:34 PM
I have a template square with rounded corners and drop shadow which I have sliced and exported from fireworks. I want a coloured gradient background in dreamweaver, but I have the problem of the white square corners from slicing it in fireworks and also getting the drop shadow to blend in. I have tried a transparent background in fireworks, but it still exports the white from the canvas. Anyone know how to solve this, I'm a beginner working with tables. Thanks

Death Dream
05-20-2008, 05:04 PM
I have a template square with rounded corners and drop shadow which I have sliced and exported from fireworks. I want a coloured gradient background in dreamweaver, but I have the problem of the white square corners from slicing it in fireworks and also getting the drop shadow to blend in. I have tried a transparent background in fireworks, but it still exports the white from the canvas. Anyone know how to solve this, I'm a beginner working with tables. Thanks

Export it as a Gif and give it a Matte color of your background. I don't use fireworks but this is what I would do in photoshop.

~Death Dream~

jon015
05-20-2008, 05:44 PM
That would work if the background was all one color, sorry should have said that I want a gradient background fading from grey to white.

Death Dream
05-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Then make the matte the most used color of your image.

Would help if I had a screenshot of what your working with.

~Death Dream~

jon015
05-20-2008, 06:15 PM
http://www.fireworksguruforum.com/index.php?showtopic=12103, also posted question on this forum. There is a png attached but it does not show the gradient background as I obviously will do that in dreamweaver, I want it grey at the bottom fading into white at the top. Thanks

Death Dream
05-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Your going to have to make a compromise with what part of the image is in what location. So the bottom corners should have a darker matte while the upper ones have a white or very light grey. When it comes to something like this you can't get it perfect unless you use .png I think.

Should have the background scroll with the content as well so it will be harder to see it.

~Death Dream~

jon015
05-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Ok thanks, let me get this right, do I apply the matte(same as background) in fireworks export options for the empty cells. Is that what you mean? Sorry if thats wrong, but this is all new to me.

Death Dream
05-20-2008, 07:41 PM
I have never touched fireworks in my life. Sorry.

I build my sites in photoshop and hand slice them the way I like. I have no idea how fireworks works really, I am explaining this from my stand point of photoshop.

Just give them a matte as close as you can to the position on the background they sit on.

~Death Dream~

Cary
05-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Ok thanks, let me get this right, do I apply the matte(same as background) in fireworks export options for the empty cells?

You choose the matte color when you have a slice selected.

Rob_Che
05-21-2008, 09:14 AM
PNGs are your friend :wink: (http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27899)

jon015
05-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Ok thanks for the answers. When you say png's, you mean a fireworks png or a normal png, as I have read these are different.

domedia
05-21-2008, 02:06 PM
When you say png's, you mean a fireworks png or a normal png, as I have read these are different.
Sounds weird.. do you have a link to where you read this?

Death Dream
05-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Sounds weird.. do you have a link to where you read this?

Yeah no kidding .... The only thing I can think of is that photoshop gives you an interlaced option or something like that. Maybe Fireworks doesn't give you that option??

~Death Dream~

jon015
05-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Not sure where, as I have read loads of stuff over the last few days. But definitley read there is a difference and not too mix the two up.

domedia
05-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Never herd about this, sounds really weird.
Interlacing is not a problem and there is no such thing as a different Fireworks PNG. And don't believe everything you read (even this), particularly if you don't know who wrote it ;-)

A PNG is a PNG, 8 bit and 24 bit.

Cary
05-22-2008, 03:14 AM
You can think of Fireworks as creating two types of pngs. There is the regular type which you find on web pages. It's just pixels. Then there is the type FW uses for saving a project. It's still a png and still loadable in other programs, but it contains information which is normally useless to other programs.

Just as a Photoshop file can contain a simple image, or many layers, masks, text and font information and such, FW can save all this info plus vector shapes in a png file. It can export the information into a plain png image or gif or jpeg when needed.

So Rob_Che is referring to pngs for web use, which FW makes.

Rob_Che
05-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Yeah - I'm not a FW user so wasn't aware of that file type... Cheers for clearing that up Cary.

d a v e
05-22-2008, 09:33 AM
to add to what cary said: thatīs why you should always *export* rather than save/save as in fireworks when using png for web use.

Rob_Che
05-22-2008, 12:05 PM
I'll have to have a play with Fireworks png's - not used them, usually export from Potatochop...