PDA

View Full Version : different renderings in Firefox and IE 7

Ariel
05-19-2008, 02:44 AM
Hi everyone!

I have built a website to splash around in and I used an older version of Dreamweaver. Therefore, I learned all about tables and layers. However, now I am trying to learn how to rebuild it using CSS. It has been hard but lots of fun. I am truly fascinated with how it all works.

The page I have been working on renders correctly in IE7 (now, isn't that something!) and not the same in Firefox, particularly in the footer section. Would someone be kind enough to take a look at this page, and see if I have messed up somewhere?

http://www.vanyamelda.com/poetry_table_of_contents2.html

Thank you so much! :)

edbr
05-19-2008, 04:26 AM
you mean the margin at the bottom?
if so i would remove the margin-bottom:100px: from footter and add it rou the body attributes

Ariel
05-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks edbr! Yes, it was the bottom margin of the footer that was giving me problems. OK, I will go play with your idea but (just so I learn) why would I add the margin to the body? And will this make my page just a little longer like I tried by using the footer bottom margin?

domedia
05-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Tip: develop for a standard compliant browser like FF/Opera/Safari first, then deal with the quirks of IE.

Ariel
05-20-2008, 08:32 PM
I tried changing my margin-bottom over to the body, with no luck, so I'm going to have to play with it a bit more.

domedia, I always build pages compliant to FF first and then test them in both FF and IE. That is why I have been surprised that IE rendered this one particular page correctly and FF did not. But thanks for your reply. :)

Cary
05-21-2008, 12:49 AM
I'm not sure if this will give you the look you're after, but try "padding-bottom:100px" on #footer instead of margin-bottom.

Ariel
05-21-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure if this will give you the look you're after, but try "padding-bottom:100px" on #footer instead of margin-bottom.
Cary, your idea was the very next thing I was going to try and guess what?....it worked! Who would have ever thought that padding would work and not margins. *big kiss* Thank you!!!

domedia
05-21-2008, 09:14 PM
margin and padding are 2 different things in the CSS box model. :)