PDA

View Full Version : FTP for Apache on Windows

mangofreak
05-17-2008, 03:30 AM
Hi guys,

I need to install an FTP server to work with my apache/php on a windows machine. Does anyone know how to or a good tutorial to do this??? never done it before...

any help is appreciated.

davidj
05-17-2008, 03:14 PM
need more info

is it a local machine or remote host

mangofreak
05-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the reply DavidJ.

it is on my local network and I'm trying to mainly use it for staging and testing applications. The machine has Apache, php 4.4.1 and runs on a windows XP box.

Since I'm new to this stuff i do not know how much detail to give you.

Any other question??

davidj
05-17-2008, 10:22 PM
can you see the machine on the network

mangofreak
05-18-2008, 01:07 AM
yes, I can see the machine on the network and can work with DW as well. All the tools work fine. In fact I installed Filezilla and worked it out nicely. So far. I'm expecting some problem though, there are always some ;)

Is there another FTP Server that you would suggest easier or perhaps more effective????

davidj
05-18-2008, 08:51 AM
why are you wanting an FTP server

are you just messing about or is there a reason

mangofreak
05-19-2008, 01:16 AM
I have a couple of clients that have photo slides that require some sort of slideshow. They are using apache and php no mysql for now. I found this nice sildeshow called phpslideshow by Greg Lawler and tried it out. It can create some thumbnails on the fly and looks great. to do that, it requires FTP access to create the directory and the images. All php code. I'm ASP, but I can handle some challenge so I am trying to make it work. So far no luck. Filezilla may be the problem but as stand alone it works nice and it is easy to understand.

I would like to try a few FTP servers to work with my Apache Server and see it they work with phpslideshow. Testing and research I would say.

That is the reason.

davidj
05-19-2008, 06:02 AM
OK

do you have IIS installed

is the FTP installed (select IIS and choose details)

if it is installed and running then there should be a ftproot Dir.

If you navigate to your Admin Tools from control panel you can see IIS services. Click that and then right click on the FTP Dir and go to properties. This is where you configure it from

mangofreak
05-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi DavidJ,

Well, I do not have IIS where I run my Apapche. I wanted to have a machine only for Apache, php and mysql. Also, my apache was installed separately not as a wamp installer. So, to get it where I have it now, took few retries.
Installing IIS would mess up my configuration.

I'll keep looking around. Perhaps there is another way to do it.

Cheers.