PDA

View Full Version : Converting PHP website into CSS / HTML


crazylegsrogers
05-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Hello Guru's
*
I've been*asked to have a look at a site that requires finishing off, its 95% complete. The clients previous web designer has dumped the project for unknown reasons. The client has asked me to take a look at it to see if i can get it finished and ready to go live. The problem for me is that the files she has sent me are designed in PHP, I do not have any experience with PHP so my questions are. . .
*
Questions: Can PHP be converted into CSS / HTML?
Would it be better to start again from scratch, using CSS?
Is there a simple way of making this easy?
*
I fear i may turn this job down, I'd like to help her but it may be beyond my skills as PHP is totally new to me, any help or advise would be appreciated.
*
Thanks.:confused:

edbr
05-15-2008, 09:46 AM
it may use php but the pages are still html, so normal rules will apply

domedia
05-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Make sure you know the requirements for this website. If it's using PHP for backend capabilities, let the client know that this will not be part of the website if you are going to take it over -OR- partner up with a local php guy for this project.

Remember that PHP is completely separated from HTML/CSS, it's s server side language, so it has nothing to do with how the site looks.

crazylegsrogers
05-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Domedia, Thanks for the advice, sounds like it would be easier to start from scratch.

davidj
05-16-2008, 08:50 AM
if its 95% complete and the client has contracted you to finish the remaining 5% and your going to start from scratch then who is going to pay for the additional 95%?

also the PHP is in there for a reason. Can you interpret its functionality and complete that aspect of the project?

I think you may have walked into a mine field..... blindfolded!

pete
05-16-2008, 09:09 AM
I would check to ensure the site is actually 95% complete. My experience tells me when a site is 'almost' complete it isn't and the client has employed a student or newbie coder who has gone AWOL because they have bitten off more than they can chew.

crazylegsrogers
05-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Good point! maybe that's whats happened.

Just in case you would like to see the files they can be downloaded here

http://www.fugawi.co.uk/website.zip (http://www.fugawi.co.uk/website.zip)

She tells me its 95% complete and it looks quite complete to me. If i was to start from scratch in CSS, i guess she would have to pay the full price for the site again and put it down to experience. . .

davidj
05-16-2008, 12:42 PM
If i was to start from scratch in CSS


are you saying its not currently built using CSS?

why do you have to start it again?

also what was the PHP there for?

pete
05-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Good point! maybe that's whats happened.

Just in case you would like to see the files they can be downloaded here

http://www.fugawi.co.uk/website.zip (http://www.fugawi.co.uk/website.zip)

She tells me its 95% complete and it looks quite complete to me. If i was to start from scratch in CSS, i guess she would have to pay the full price for the site again and put it down to experience. . .

It is a very basic CMS, basically a simple table to store page content which is created in the admin with the WYSIWYG editor http://www.fckeditor.net/. The whole thing has been created with DW and probably took just a few hours so whether you were to start from scratch or not really doesn't matter because there is most definitely less than 3 hours work there.

domedia
05-16-2008, 02:50 PM
It does matter if the client is expecting to use the CMS though..