PDA

View Full Version : Indian music for website

Soad
05-15-2008, 09:08 AM
An Indian restaurant whose website I have created have asked me to add background Indian music

Where can I get legal free Indian music clips and any ideas and wants the best format to use?

Thanks

Ricky55
05-15-2008, 11:50 AM
MP3, they'll be loads of places on the web where you can download mp3's of indian music surely.

If you can't find something get a tape or CD from the restaurant and rip it.

davidj
05-15-2008, 12:52 PM
If you can't find something get a tape or CD from the restaurant and rip it.

only do that if you know its not copyrighted or you want to get into serious financial and legal bother

If you use copyright protected music and register for a license to play it then it will be very expensive. If you don't apply and get caught using it without permission then it will be very expensive.

I would speak to your client and ask them to provide the music. They may know musicians who could record something for you

and whats the best format to use?
i would insert the music clip in a 1 X 1 pixel flash movie and hide it on the page

Ricky55
05-15-2008, 09:23 PM
If he gets a CD or tape from an indian restaurant I would have thought he'd be fine. Its not exactly going to be popular music, I can't see copyright being an issue at all.

If its anything like I've heard in indian restaurants it all sounds the same anyway.

davidj
05-15-2008, 10:15 PM
a friend, many years ago had a site which he displayed his cartoon strips. he had some music playing in the background. he was emailed by the copyright police demanding cash. He had to provide a months worth of log files so they could work out how many times the song had played and then they multiply that figure by the months he had his website up. It ran into the thousands of pounds!

If he gets a CD or tape from an Indian restaurant I would have thought he'd be fine

Not necessarily. They should be licensed to play the music in the restaurant but that does not mean that license can transfer to the web.

remember the client wants music on his site but it will be the developer who is accountable

If its anything like I've heard in Indian restaurants it all sounds the same anyway.
that doesn't stop the man from wanting his slice of the pie.

the music police are tenacious and will hunt you down without a second thought.

Its a mine field out there

bluey
05-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Could you not use a sound loop? to give the effect. There are lots of free sound loops out there. That way you can't get busted for copyright or fees..

Checkout: Just as an example...
http://www.flashkit.com/search.php?cat=loops&per=10&page=1&term=india&x=0&y=0

ranjan
05-16-2008, 04:00 AM
Its not exactly going to be popular music, I can't see copyright being an issue at all.

With a population of 1/3 of the worlds population, how can indian music not be "popular"?

If its anything like I've heard in indian restaurants it all sounds the same anyway.

for you it may all be the same, just like for me rock music is all the same.

TO OP:

Just as you would buy stock images, buy legitimate stock music.

http://opentrends.org/s/d8Vz717ny << Google Search Link

edbr
05-16-2008, 04:09 AM
http://www.trustmeher.net/freeware/free-indian-classical-music.htm (http://www.trustmeher.net/)
googled free Indian music for websites, there were otheres listed

Ricky55
05-16-2008, 10:17 AM
yeah yeah yeah I hear what you're saying but life's too short in my opinion to be worrying about if ripping a section of music from an indian restaurant is going to be getting me in to trouble....

When I say its not popular I meant it's not like having a chart song playing on your website, which would be really obvious to any one. Where as a indian tune playing in the background 99% of people wouldn't even be able to tell you who the artist was let alone how they stood on copyright issues.

I guess we'll never agree on this so this will be my last post on the subject.

davidj
05-16-2008, 11:11 AM
yeah yeah yeah I hear what you're saying but life's too short in my opinion to be worrying about if ripping a section of music from an indian restaurant is going to be getting me in to trouble....

until you get slapped with a fine that is

domedia
05-16-2008, 02:02 PM
yeah yeah yeah I hear what you're saying but life's too short in my opinion to be worrying about if ripping a section of music from an indian restaurant is going to be getting me in to trouble.... .Ricky, you are aware that this very well might be illegal, and it's all documented in this forum (particularly your intent). In the US copyright infringement is a federal offense (afaik), so it's fairly serious. All western countries have copyright laws. See DJ's example above as well. RIAA and other record company organizations does not take lightly on someone stealing music. It wouldn't take much I think to do this legally, look at Ed's link above.

EDIT: Just realized that you're not building this website Rick.. sorry :-( I just didn't want you to do something you would regret on later.. my apologies