PDA

View Full Version : Splash Page

grungefreak
05-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Hi guys,

I want the following to happen when a user clicks a submit form on my website:

1.User fills in the form and it validated upon submit.(Done).
2.The user is brought to a page e.g. a splash page that is just shown while the query is being performed.
3.The results of the query are shown to user then (this is not a problem)

Does this involve using the "meta tags"?

GF

Rob_Che
05-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Google meta tags, it aint what they're for.

Sounds like a basic login page you want, what can you do ?

davidj
05-11-2008, 02:39 PM
your wanting an Ajax solution

if your savvy with code and PHP and have a basic javascript knowledge then check out my AJAX dropdown tutorial

there is a ready-state property used to see if the results are ready to be returned

State Description
0 The request is not initialized
1 The request has been set up
2 The request has been sent
3 The request is in process
4 The request is complete

as you can see the readystate 3 and 4 is what your going to query

so its a case of displaying the splash unless the readystate == 4

see if you can work through my tut and take this metaphorical machete and hack it up to suit your needs

the splash will only display (or been seen) if there is a large query which takes enough time for it to display.

grungefreak
05-11-2008, 04:56 PM
your wanting an Ajax solution

if your savvy with code and PHP and have a basic javascript knowledge then check out my AJAX dropdown tutorial

there is a ready-state property used to see if the results are ready to be returned

State Description
0 The request is not initialized
1 The request has been set up
2 The request has been sent
3 The request is in process
4 The request is complete
as you can see the readystate 3 and 4 is what your going to query

so its a case of displaying the splash unless the readystate == 4

see if you can work through my tut and take this metaphorical machete and hack it up to suit your needs

the splash will only display (or been seen) if there is a large query which takes enough time for it to display.

Will do Davidj.

Thnks.

GF

grungefreak
05-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Google meta tags, it aint what they're for.

Sounds like a basic login page you want, what can you do ?

Hi Rob,

Meta Tags are actually used for this purpose also. You should google them again!

Here ya go bud!

http://webdesign.about.com/od/metataglibraries/a/aa080300a.htm

gF

davidj
05-12-2008, 10:19 PM
2.The user is brought to a page e.g. a splash page that is just shown while the query is being performed

you required a splash page / loading page while a query was being run

You intend now to show the splash page every time no matter how long the query takes to run? If yes then a meta refresh will do the trick but the delay you set wont have anything to do with the query time. Infact if you set the refresh to 2 seconds then add the query time to that as well.

Rob_Che
05-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Hi Rob,
Meta Tags are actually used for this purpose also.
gF

Sorry I didn't realise exactly what you were trying to do, I wasn't being derogatory. I was thinking you were talking about a Flash result :roll: The word 'splash' scared me ;-)

Hope you get it sorted.

grungefreak
05-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Sorry I didn't realise exactly what you were trying to do, I wasn't being derogatory. I was thinking you were talking about a Flash result :roll: The word 'splash' scared me ;-)

Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks Rob:roll:. I got it sorted but went down Davidj's original route as opposed to the meta-refresh.

GF