PDA

View Full Version : Simple image publishing problem - what am I missing?

Snooze
05-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Hello all :-D ,

Up until recently whenever I've published images I've dragged and dropped them into SmartFTPClient and let it do them for me then simply linked the URL in my pages.

I now want to publish them through Dreamweaver(MX) itself but I can't get it to publish the full size image.

The way I'm doing it is by INSERT > IMAGE and then selecting the image thumbnail I want and voila, it puts the thumbnail into my page. I'm then going down to the properties box at the bottom of the page, going to the Link section and selecting the full size image from the 'browse for file' function to the right of the box.

However, when I publish the page it's only publishing the thumbnail. How can I get Dreamweaver to publish the full size pic as well without manually having to add it to the FTP ?

I'm sure it's something really simple but I'm damned if I can find out what it is!! :x

Thanks a lot folks.

Rgds,

Rob

domedia
05-04-2008, 03:19 PM
IS the large image in within your website directory, or in a subdirectory?

Are you putting *all* the web files on the server, or asking DW to put up only the files needed?

Snooze
05-04-2008, 06:28 PM
IS the large image in within your website directory, or in a subdirectory?

Are you putting *all* the web files on the server, or asking DW to put up only the files needed?

Both the full size and the thumb are in my images directory under the root directory.

My local folder is C:\Docs and Settings\Snooze\My Docs\web\(sitename)\wwwroot

In the wwwroot directory I have all my files for that site, including a folder called images which then has sub-folders within that for each month of the year. The big pic and thumb are in the may2008 folder, but it's only publishing the thumb when I publish and the big pic is remaining in the folder.

I publish new info on a daily basis but it's usually only one or two pages of my site that get changed so I publish each of those individually by using SITE > PUT.

:(

Rob

domedia
05-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Ok, so what you're saying is when you hit 'publish', the large images do not get transferred? Or do they get transferred but they don't show up when you click the small image on your live website?

URL?

Snooze
05-05-2008, 03:13 AM
Ok, so what you're saying is when you hit 'publish', the large images do not get transferred?

Correct. Is it because the big pics are only linked in the properties menu, therefore DW assumes I'm linking to an outside URL instead of one of my own? Does that make sense?

Basically, why is DW only publishing my thumbs to the ftp and not the original pics?

I do not know how to put my question any simpler. :confused:

I have a set of images - I make thumbs of them in photoshop - I save both sets in the images folder in DW - I create my page using the thumbs and using the PROPERTIES area at the bottom of the page I link to the original size pic - I publish my site, but only the thumb images get published. WHY?

Rgds,

Rob

domedia
05-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Can you post the url please?
I think I know what's going on, but there's too much guessing.

Snooze
05-05-2008, 05:27 PM
If you can't diagnose it from what I've told you then you clearly know as much about DW as I do. :roll:

The URL obviously won't tell you anything. The problem is within DW, not the site. :roll:

What a complete waste of time this site is.

domedia
05-05-2008, 08:17 PM
If you can't diagnose it from what I've told you then you clearly know as much about DW as I do. :roll: ok...

The URL obviously won't tell you anything. The problem is within DW, not the site. :roll: That might not be the case. If the link is through javascript and you have the value '#' in your href attribute, DW doesn't know the larger image is linked. Fixing/debugging is easiest done through looking at the exact case.
What a complete waste of time this site is.
Ouch! People are trying to help you out on a voluntary basis. I don't think your attitude is appropriate :-?

I think you'll find that many people will go to great lengths to help out, but you have to be able to help the helpers as well.