PDA

View Full Version : Trouble moving to a new computer

Rolacoy
05-03-2008, 02:23 PM
I have been using Dreamweaver MX Version 6 on a Mac G5. I have recently moved my home location and am getting rid of my G5. I am trying to move everything to my MBP. When I open Dreamweaver it looks for the G5. Once I was able to get DW to open and edited the path to the new location of the web pages on my MBP and can open the pages in DW.

However, when I click on the button to connect to the remote site DW quits.

Rolacoy
05-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Also I did the test connection to the server and a DW dialog box came up telling me that I had connected to the web server.

Rolacoy
05-03-2008, 02:32 PM
I opened a web page from my hard drive, edited it and clicked on Command S to save the file and DW brought up a dialog box saying it was looking for the G5.

Rolacoy
05-03-2008, 04:43 PM
I still have trouble opening DW. Sometimes it just looks for the old G5 and I have to "Force Quit". Sometimes DW opens and I can open pages, upload pages to my website. When I open a page and click "command S" it looks for the G5. I can go under file and "Save As" then go thru the folders to the proper location and save the file.

Someplace I need to tell DW that there is NO G5. How do I do that?

Cary
05-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Sounds like you need to edit the imported site definitions.

Rolacoy
05-03-2008, 06:34 PM
I have edited the site and changed path in DW, but it is still looking for the G5.

Rolacoy
05-04-2008, 03:39 AM
When I open DW I get a dialog box that says "AFP Connection Status" and below in the box it says "looking up Benny's G5". Then that box disapears and another box says:
"Connection failed"
The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and try again.

I click ok and DW loads. then the same box: "looking up Benny's G5". I click cancel and t the spinning beach ball for ever.

The same thing happens several times, then DW will open. I ppen a page, push "Command S" and it is looking for Benny's G. I can go under file to "Save As", locate the proper folder and it saves just fine.

For some reason there is something telling it to look for the G5. Someone please help me out.

domedia
05-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Did you export from old machine and then import the site definitions the new machine?

Rolacoy
05-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Probably not, I already had DreamWeaver loaded on the MBP. Originally I had the web files on an internal hard drive on the G5. I copied the files to an external drive, connected it to the MBP, opened DW, went into the DW under "Site" to "Edit Sites". Then I clicked on the folder at the right end of the path window and choose the website folder. Then all of the files showed up in the Site window.

domedia
05-04-2008, 07:25 PM
That's your problem right there. You need to export/import properly to make it work.

Rolacoy
05-04-2008, 11:35 PM
I have the two computers networked. I opened DW on the G5. I selected the folder that the web site is in. Import and export are both grayed. I opened a page and import is black but export is still grayed. So how is the import/export done?

Rolacoy
05-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Ok, I found the export and import under "Site". So if I exported all of the complete folder to my MBP then it would be on the MBP, why would I have to import the folder?

Also there are two choices in the export window. There is also a "help" button. I will read it when I get home from church. I thank you for helping me with this.

Rolacoy
05-05-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't understand why I would have to export the website from the G5 and then import in to the MBP. Wouldn't it work if I just imported it to the MBP from the G5 using the MBP ?

Another thought would to down load it from the web server to the MBP using the MBP connection to the server.

Rolacoy
05-06-2008, 02:19 AM
Test asdlkjdsa;lkgjgdf asd adslk;afglk adfs dsa;lkjdsalkads dfslkadfgl dfg dsf; dfs ;l;dkf;adlkg;lakfdg