PDA

View Full Version : vista?

edbr
05-02-2008, 02:11 AM
wondering if i should upgrade my office computers to vista or not.

Its been out a while and wondered if i could get a consensus from you guys, is it worth it ,and if so what makes it worth it?

gmcrone
05-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Quite honestly I have heard nothing but bad stories from people upgrading to Vista for an office environment.
Even MS has acknowledged that Vista is not ready yet and still has many problems.

Personally, I won't use any MS OS for my main OS.
I use Linux and for any Win apps I really need to run, I use a VM to run WinXP and those apps.

Mike...

edbr
05-02-2008, 10:39 AM
I use Linux and for any Win apps I really need to run, I use a VM to run WinXP and those apps.
so tempting but i am bit chicken hearted about it.
my need are outlook, filemaker and MYOB accounting software, for the staff, rest i would dual boot on my pc maybe.

edbr
05-02-2008, 10:43 AM
got any good links and tuts mike? I already got a ubuntu disc but whimped out then!

davidj
05-02-2008, 01:52 PM
check out Wine for running windows apps on Linux

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

I have a dual boot with vista and linux. (really vista was pre installed on my laptop so partitioned it into a dual boot machine)

edbr
05-03-2008, 03:05 AM
how are you getting on with vista david?

davidj
05-03-2008, 11:26 AM
all i can say is its bling

pretty

i would not upgrade if i had my own business as pretty does not bring the money in

when your machines are due to be replaced in the future then you will get vista then by default but dont spend money and effort on it just yet

gmcrone
05-03-2008, 01:58 PM
got any good links and tuts mike? I already got a ubuntu disc but whimped out then!

http://blog.lxpages.com/2007/07/11/101-ubuntu-tips-tricks-and-tutorials/

Mike...

edbr
05-05-2008, 02:06 AM
thanks petty much the conclusion i was coming to david,cept maybe linux for the staff if user friendly enough.
cheers mike, did you come across any big problems with it?

gmcrone
05-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Haven't had any problems at all with Linux.
I use Ubuntu/Kubuntu for most of my work.
Then for apps like Dreamweaver/Flash/Fireworks I run Innotek Virtual Box using WinXP Pro.
There are quite a few apps for Linux that make Outlook look like a stone age tool and much more secure.
Wine isn't all that great for running windows apps, but some work just fine. It is a bit of a hit & miss with them.
However using VirtualBox I can run any Win app just fine. You can set up a shared folder on Linux and copy files back & forth between Win & Linux.
Sometimes hard to get a printer working on the Win side and some USB devices.
All in all, I won't be going back to Win as my main OS any time soon.
Your best bet is to download & burn an ISO of Ubuntu/Kubuntu and run it as a LIVE CD.
This way it runs directly from your CD drive and doesn't install itself on your hard drive. It will run a bit slower than an actual install, but at least you will be able to see what it is like.

Mike...

edbr
05-06-2008, 01:52 AM
thanks mike. i did try the live before but was unsure (actually knoppix which is debian based). i just tried to install ubuntu on my laptop as a dual boot then found a fault with the bloody disk. yes i know you can check first,now!
am just downloading new version of ubuntu so will try again.

Death Dream
05-06-2008, 04:15 PM
I use Sabayon Linux and MS Xp.

I agree with the other that it is not worth the time or money to try to upgrade (downgrading in reality) to Vista. It's just not ready to be implemented in that kind of environment.

~Death Dream~

edbr
05-07-2008, 02:04 AM
maybe after service pack 09 then!