PDA

View Full Version : CMS Content Management System

crazylegsrogers
04-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi, I'm being asked to design a website to include CMS and don't really know where to start. This is not something I've been asked to do in the past, I'm fairly new to webdesign as I've only been doing it as a hobby for about 18mths.

If I'm designing a site in CSS for say a letting agent and they want to update the property page themselves, what would be the best way of doing this? Obviously me not updating it myself would save them money and save me time, does any body have any suggestions to help.

Any help would be appriciated, thanks :roll:

Corrosive
04-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Hi

Take a look at www.joomla.org (http://www.joomla.org). It's a CMS programme a bit like Dreamweaver. Some webspace has it built in if you have a cpanel with fantastico suite but you can download it on the site. Good luck!

Cheers

crazylegsrogers
04-21-2008, 05:07 PM
I have come across this site before. It's not very clear as to what i need to do!!

is it free? how does it work?

crazylegsrogers
04-21-2008, 05:09 PM
I cant seem to download anything from that site as the file type is not recognized!!

crazylegsrogers
04-21-2008, 05:14 PM
confused, lots of files but cant seem to make sense of anything. . . . . :o(

Corrosive
04-21-2008, 05:16 PM
I cant seem to download anything from that site as the file type is not recognized!!

OK, couple of things there. Firstly click on the 'download' link on the front page (near the banner at the top). Make sure you are selecting the .zip file to download (assuming you are using Windows) and not the .tar file. I think this might be a Mac thing...but not sure. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Secondly, I believe that it is free and as I said earlier it is certainly free with some web space you can buy.

Corrosive
04-21-2008, 05:20 PM
OK, this web provider has fantastico and joomla built in. www.eukhosts.com (http://www.eukhosts.com) I have used them before because the space is pretty cheap and you get quite a few goodies with it...like Joomla. Up time seems to be around 92-95% in my experience. If you haven't purchased the space yet then give them a look.

Ricky55
04-21-2008, 05:50 PM
I would recommend Adobe Contribute CS3, this is designed for this very purpose.

http://www.adobe.com/products/contribute/

Lynda.com offer a really good training course in it too.

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=417

Corrosive
04-21-2008, 05:57 PM
I would recommend Adobe Contribute CS3, this is designed for this very purpose.

http://www.adobe.com/products/contribute/

Lynda.com offer a really good training course in it too.

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=417

Does that hook straight into Dreamweaver then? I might have a look if it does.

domedia
04-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Contribute is made solemnly for regular people to update DW websites :)

Ricky55
04-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Check it out crazylegsrogers and see if it does what you want. From the little bit I've seen of it it would.

crazylegsrogers
04-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Ricky55, Thank you very much, this may be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm already a member of Lynda.com so I'd better start looking into this software ASAP, thanks again for your advice and help in this matter. Hopefully this should overcome my CMS problem, nice. . . . . :grin: Fingers crossed :lol:

edbr
04-23-2008, 01:30 AM
joomla can be uploaded without fantastico, you can get there latest versions from from the site. tey also have a support forum
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php

there are a lot of cms progs out there. joomla does have a lot of free ready made site templates available.
it ships with (or did) a template form 'water and stone' who these days are developing most of their sites using drupal cs system, as they claim it is easier to manipulate to your own design and databases etc.

mangofreak
04-23-2008, 02:32 AM
before you choose what to use as a CMS, you should first know what your server supports. ASP, PHP, MS Access, SQL, MySQL. The reason I say this is because, we don't exactly know what his "client" wants. Contribute it's fine, but I believe that Joomla or a custom CMS would be a better option. I have used Contribute in the past and I find it lacking.

Also, if you are a member of lynda you should check out Daniel Short's tutorial on dynamic websites. There is a particular tutorial to create a Blog. excellent to help you understand how to create a CMS.

That's mho.

crazylegsrogers
04-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Options! options!
All i really want is for my client to be able to upload information about their properties for let without changing the design of the site or having unsightly odd looking pages clashing with the design.

I may create a CSS design template, aditable only for insertion of letting information by the client. I could make the template with divs pre sized for the photos and another div for the text to be added. I would have to give them a lesson in photoshop on how to resize and optimise their images ready for incertion on to the page.

After looking at the video's of Adobe Contribute CS3, i think this should hopefully do the job. I think the hard bit will be teaching the client how to use the software :roll:

They don't seem too computer literate. . .

Any thoughts on my idea? does this sound like the easyest way to go :!:

edbr
04-23-2008, 09:28 AM
create a database,and admin section where they can add records to it .
thats what all the above suggesti if they arent computer literate then the will need a simple ,user freindly way. As suggested if you dont want to code your own joomla will i am sure,have a component that will suit you possibly with imagemagik to resize images. Joomlahut has a lot of stuff

Ricky55
04-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Contribute will do this and it looks very easy to use. From what I can gather you don't sound like you're ready to create a database to achieve this.

crazylegsrogers
04-23-2008, 09:59 PM
You right I'm not ready for data bases, not wanting to go there for a while.

Contibute looks like my best route, I'll let you know how i get on.

Rob_Che
04-24-2008, 09:15 PM
I'll let you know how i get on.

Yeah, please do...

crazylegsrogers
05-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Thank You, Thank You, Thanks You.

This software is awsome and that's no exageration, it does exactly what I'm looking for and for 171 GBP from PC World Business it's a bargain.

I cant recommend this enough, I designed a dreamweaver template and set editable regions so the client cant mess up the CSS template if they tried. They are now able to update text and images themselves with ease. If you to are looking for CMS systems for your clients, Contribute CS3 is the way forward. . .

Thanks again for the help in finding an answer to me problem, happy days. This is opening new doors for me and my client list can only get bigger.

domedia
05-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Good on you mate! :)

chode
04-08-2009, 01:17 PM
hey guys, Ive just been reading the thread and Ive spent all day watching the Lynda.com tuts for Contribute and I have one question.

Do you have to buy a separate copy of contribute for every client who wants to update thier own content? As far as I can tell you do but this seems like a pretty high cost ($405 AU) just to update a bit of text now and then. Am I wrong or is that the case?

Corrosive
04-08-2009, 01:21 PM
hey guys, Ive just been reading the thread and Ive spent all day watching the Lynda.com tuts for Contribute and I have one question.

Do you have to buy a separate copy of contribute for every client who wants to update thier own content? As far as I can tell you do but this seems like a pretty high cost ($405 AU) just to update a bit of text now and then. Am I wrong or is that the case?

I believe that each copy of contribute would require an individual license so, yes, you would need to ask the client to buy a copy.

domedia
04-08-2009, 02:39 PM
As far as I can tell you do but this seems like a pretty high cost ($405 AU) just to update a bit of text now and then. Am I wrong or is that the case? Your client has to decide if that's value for them or not. They could just keep paying you to update the website. It's $200 USD. They'll save that back after using it a few hours.

Corrosive
04-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Your client has to decide if that's value for them or not. They could just keep paying you to update the website. It's $200 USD. They'll save that back after using it a few hours.

I've just had a quick scoot around the web and found contribute CS3 for 65. Maybe consider an older version rather than CS4. I assume it would still work with the templates etc. but do check it out and don't rely on my say so!

chode
04-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the replies!
Yeah I'll let him know thats how much it is and he can decide.
Otherwise is Joomla an option? This guy is really technochallenged so thats what drew me to contribute.

fudo2225
05-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I use a company called interspire: http://www.interspire.com/?utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=branding&gclid=CMDnpvK7rZoCFQNaFQodd29ZdA

Check there "Webedit" $179 for the package and then they charge (if you want them to install) $49 for install.

It seems like a lot, but you send them the FTP info and they do everything for that. Charge anything over the $228 and your making money.

I've found clients will pay in the relm of $1200 - $1500 to be able to edit their own site.

My company is www.kre8tivemonkey.com (http://www.kre8tivemonkey.com)

DWcourse
05-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Dreamweaver CS4 also has In Context Editing which allows online updating. Requires an adobe account but no extra software. Might want to check it out as well.

edbr
05-09-2009, 04:30 AM
I've found clients will pay in the relm of $1200 - $1500 to be able to edit their own site.

really? love to know where you find them

fudo2225
05-09-2009, 04:51 PM
You have to understand that if you lay it out for a client, they will spend the money.

Most of you guys like myself are probably $50-$100 per edit. If you have a restaurants that has weekly edits that 52 edits per year. If they were to pay 52 at even the $50 per edit it would cost them $2600 per year.

If they buy the webedit it would cost them $1500. They save $1100 in the 1st year.

You just need to sell them.

I'm from the states (New Jersey) so that may make a difference also.

What do you guys charge for a (lets say) 5 page website?

Rob_Che
05-09-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm from the states (New Jersey) so that may make a difference also.

What do you guys charge for a (lets say) 5 page website?

Who are 'you guys' ? - there are people on here from the UK, US, India, Bali, OZ - hell there's even a guy from Newcastle !... I think the rates will vary ;-)

davidj
05-09-2009, 06:37 PM
hell there's even a guy from Newcastle

hes a bit of a ladies man too!

edbr
05-10-2009, 08:32 AM
local add: 5page website,years hosting and domain name 50$US , yes id say it varies

Corrosive
05-10-2009, 08:34 AM
local add: 5page website,years hosting and domain name 50$US , yes id say it varies Blimey! That's cheap!

Rob_Che
05-10-2009, 11:07 AM
local add: 5page website,years hosting and domain name 50$US , yes id say it varies
Do you have an email address ? :-D

edbr
05-11-2009, 12:32 AM
yeah i know, its out of jogjakarta in Java, i wouldnt encourage them! normal rate you might expect 150- 200$. no wonder outsourcing is so popular

fudo2225
05-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Do any of you guys do custom designs or do you just use a template?

Rob_Che
05-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Personally - I've never used a template...