PDA

View Full Version : help with fixing/locking cell size

William74
04-21-2008, 03:35 PM
hello there, I am completely new to dreamweaver, just now trying to build my first site. I am running into a problem where I have several cells with background images, and text ontop.

In design view it looks great, but when testing in firefox the cells expands and the background image tiles. So I am trying to figure out how to lock the cell size so that it doesn't resize beyond the background image.

I am using an external css file for my fonts, and I know that this is what is expanding the cell. But I am trying to figure out how to lock the cell.

In any case I have tried figuring this out with the help files but no luck so far.

I have put a test page up and you can see it here http://www.poempoempoem.com/wtest/
its the right hand column I'm trying to fix.

ok thanks in advance for any advice in regards to this.

Corrosive
04-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi

You might have noticed from other posts on this site that this is the main issue with using tables for layout. You should learn to design with CSS and Layers/DIV Tags as soon as you can. If it's any help it displays properly on IE7.

William74
04-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the tip. Yeah by now I have definitely lost interest in using tables for layouts. to much unpredictable behavior.

Corrosive
04-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the tip. Yeah by now I have definitely lost interest in using tables for layouts. to much unpredictable behavior.

Ain't that the truth! Don't worry, we've all started that way :wink: . If it's any help I have the first three parts of a tutorial I am writing on my site. Very basic CSS but it may help you get started. Try www.corrosiveonline.co.uk (http://www.corrosiveonline.co.uk) Go to the 'Web Stuff' page and click on Dreamweaver. The tutorial has files and images for you to get to grips with. I will finish the last couple of parts soon.

William74
04-23-2008, 05:47 PM
ok i downloaded them and will have a look at them tonight.

By the way you might want to take a look at your "web stuff menu". it changes into the cursor icon rather than the finger for clicking icon. I almost didn't find the downloads as at first i didn't think I could click the menu.

ps. nice pages though.

Corrosive
04-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks, will have a look at that later. Good luck with the site.