PDA

View Full Version : Image looks wrong in browser (changes with zoom)

HangmanQ
04-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Hello, I've inserted an image of an old printing press into dreamweaver but it comes in looking a little different to how I want it (its granier and sketchier if that makes any sense). When I preview it in browser it still looks this way but if I zoom in OR out the image changes to the better more detailed appearence that I wanted in the first place.

This exact situation can be seen in this image i found on the web here
http://www.comixconnection.com/uploaded_images/Alice_par_John_Tenniel_30-702103.png

By zooming in or out you should see the difference in the image, this is pretty much whats happening with my image, anybody know what I can do to make the image appear the way I want it to without having to zoom in or out in the browser?

Cary
04-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Make sure any images in your pages are being displayed at full, actual size. If an image is too big or too small, then it needs to be scaled up or down to the correct size, saved at that size and then finally displayed at that size when imported into DW.

Rob_Che
04-15-2008, 07:31 AM
As Cary says...
The image is 353px x 480px - make sure that it is set to these dimensions in DW (Properties panel at the bottom)
They will highlight in bold if the dimensions are wrong.
If you drag and resize an image all hell breaks loose...! :) If you want it a different size, you'll need to do this in a photo editing programme.

HangmanQ
04-15-2008, 11:55 AM
thanks guys, that sorted it out, I was just resizing it like you said, I'm new to dreamweaver as you might have guessed, thanks again.

HangmanQ
04-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Hello again, I'm still having trouble here-sort of a different problem but didnt want to clog up the forum with my idiot threads :).

Im having real trouble getting some images to look decent in DW at the moment, the problem is I want a fairly detailed image which looks fine on photoshop (its like 600x600 pixels aprox) but I want it to take up a very small portion of the screen (100x100) when in the browser without losing quality. Is this possible? I tried saving for web but this didnt help much.

Rob_Che
04-17-2008, 04:47 PM
In Photoshop, press control+shift+S... (save for web)

You can change the size in there...
DO NOT change the size in DW - import everything real size.

HangmanQ
04-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi Rob I am changing it in Photoshop not Dreamweaver, Ive tried saving for web but when I bring the size down to like 100x100 pixels it looks pretty rubbish as the image is very detailed.

d a v e
04-17-2008, 06:16 PM
it's going to be difficult to represent that amount of detail in a 100px or so image. here's what i could manage

you might just have to use a bigger image

domedia
04-17-2008, 06:32 PM
You can't take a 600*600 image down to 100*100 without losing detail.
You're going from displaying 360.000 pixels to displaying only 10.000 pixels, about 3% of the original information is kept :-(
This is the nature of a 2 dimensional pixel display.