PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question

mondieu01
04-14-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm new to webdesign so I'm having issues that I am working my way through. One thing that is really annoying me is how the pages expand in Dreamweaver MX. Is there any way I can change the settings of tables so the table doesn't expand vertically as I enter text, insert images or insert other tables? I would like the page to stay the same pixels as I edit the page but it doesn't seem to want to cooperate. What am I missing here? The same thing happens horizontally when I don't hit enter at the end of a cell. I don't have much dreamweaver experience and I am learning some simple html as I go. I will appreciate any tips to alleviate myself of this problem. Thanks,

Rob_Che
04-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Welcome !

Have you set widths and heights for your tables ?

mondieu01
04-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I set the both in pixels. I've got one big table that is the page itself. The reason why I didn't use % is because I don't want the graphics in the page to get fruity. I've tried using layers; however, layers also change with different resolution in the browser. It is a site for my local R/C club. The link is www.okefenokeerc.com (http://www.okefenokeerc.com). When I type text into any of the cells, the page expands downward. I would like to insert items in the page and keep the size of the page the same. Take a look at the code and see what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for the reply pal,

mangofreak
04-15-2008, 04:01 AM
Why don;t you try adding a scroll bar on your div where the center text goes and assigning the height. Like this:

<div align="center" style="overflow:scroll; height:400px;">

test it and see how it look on the browser.

d a v e
04-15-2008, 06:40 AM
incidentally how many people have this res?
"This Website is Best Viewed in 1440 by 900 Pixels" i know i don't, and i'm a web designer! ;)

Rob_Che
04-15-2008, 07:42 AM
"This Website is Best Viewed in 1440 by 900 Pixels" i know i don't, and i'm a web designer! ;)

I'm going to start changing my disclaimers to "Best viewed on MY PC" ;)

mondieu01
04-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I know. lol. I plan on changing the resolution, but I'm trying to alleviate these problems first. I use that resolution and that is what I originally set the site up in. After all, the title of this thread does contain "Noob". Since I am new here and new to web design, I'm willing to take a bit of a thrashing, lol. I will try the scroll bar and see how that goes. Let me know if anyone else has any other suggestions. I really don't care if I have to change the whole thing because I can throw this together in no time. Thanks for the replies and the laugh ;-)

Rob_Che
04-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Good sport...

I think the scolling div will be the way forward.
Keeps your design in check that way...

Death Dream
04-15-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm going to start changing my disclaimers to "Best viewed on MY PC" ;)

ROFL! Nice XD

I think the scolling div will be the way forward.

I think so as well, one of the main reasons I started to learn CSS was because it was possible to do this.

I think scrolling text is annoying though ....

~Death Dream~

mondieu01
04-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Ok guys, I fixed it. I didn't realize that there were a lot of enters in the empty space. Not sure how they got there but I took them out and now everything is cool. Thanks for your suggestions. My next job will be dropping the resolution of the site :grin:

Cary
04-15-2008, 11:40 PM

I don't... yet.

domedia
04-16-2008, 03:05 PM
1640x1050 :-)

d a v e
04-16-2008, 04:00 PM
1640x1050 :-)

it does matter for those that do, only those that don't :)