PDA

View Full Version : Spry v flash menu

rangersjedi
04-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi,

What is the best menu? Im building a site and i would like to build a flash one as its fully customizable
e.g shape

Do people prefer flash menus or spry menus?

Can you change the shape and design of a spry menu?

Is there any good tutorials on building a flash vertical menu?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks Paul

Rob_Che
04-10-2008, 02:23 PM
What do you mean by 'shape' ?
You want it to animate ?

Rob

TONS of flash tuts out there...
I think people are gonna say Spry tho...

rangersjedi
04-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply.

I mean the shape of the button or what ever i what as a button. spry button are only rectangular please correct me if im wrong.

Yes just a small fly in maybe so opaque to solid color .

Cheers

Paul

What do you mean by 'shape' ?
You want it to animate ?

Rob

TONS of flash tuts out there...
I think people are gonna say Spry tho...

Rob_Che
04-10-2008, 03:44 PM
You can have it (appear) as any shape.
Using Java Script and coupling this with clever use of Gifs or background images you can do a lot to 'Jazz em up"...

See mootools (http://demos.mootools.net/Fx.Elements)for some amazing uses of Java Script.

m1a2x3x7
04-10-2008, 06:09 PM
It depends on how much you know in each subject. Using either one will get the job done but they both have their goods and their bads. Your spry menu might not work in all browsers. Not everyone allows javascript.

Flash will have to be imported a certain way. wmode. Some people dont allow flash.

Again it kinda of depends on what you know.

rangersjedi
04-10-2008, 07:05 PM
It depends on how much you know in each subject. Using either one will get the job done but they both have their goods and their bads. Your spry menu might not work in all browsers. Not everyone allows javascript.

Flash will have to be imported a certain way. wmode. Some people dont allow flash.

Again it kinda of depends on what you know.

Im kinda going toward a flash one as they look much better imo

i will need to start playing around with flash no doubt ill be back soon

with a " Why doesnt my flash menu work? " thread lol :-D

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers

Paul

liquidmonkey
04-10-2008, 07:12 PM
i used the spry menu and it was easy to customize using css.
works great, loads SUPER FAST and spry does most of the work 4u :)

gordytuf@msn.com
04-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Not so sure about spry I have a site http://www.vitaminarcade.com/ (http://www.vitaminarcade.com/)[/font]

IN IE6 it works great i.e. "Cancer" shows full sub menu. But in fire fox it’s a No go if anyone can help short of doing the menu again .
The first problem (started after I added a product) I had been the text somehow migrated into the body and Link would disappear and would not work..I fixed this... But don't Know How!! cheers Gordy
Ps tried using an old spry menu that works perfectly in both browsers.... cut and pasted it into the site ...but did not cure the problem!! .... checked css. At wits end and it's not on the map LOL
I have even wrote to Firefox no reply yet:mrgreen:

Ricky55
04-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Thats not a very good example to show, in Safari it looks a bit of a mess.

gordytuf@msn.com
04-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Thank you for your observation