PDA

View Full Version : ask for email address before they can download pdfs from website

Jane
04-06-2008, 08:14 PM
good evening, i hope someone can help me.

firstly am i very new to dreamweaver. I have been asked if i can change our website so that when someone wants to download a pdf or something, they have to enter in an email address to allow them to continue. is this something i can do quite easily in dreamweaver

Many thanks, hope someone can help

Jane

Ricky55
04-06-2008, 08:56 PM
You could create a basic form that the user fills in with their name and email address and then once they click submit it could take them to a page where they can download your PDF.

domedia
04-06-2008, 09:50 PM
They can type in the email o.k. but are you planning to do something with the information they entered? Sounds weird unless you want to collect it somehow.
Insert in a database? Send someone an email with the email in it? Response to the person downloading the pdf? You should ask the people that asked you this what they want to achieve doing this :)

edbr
04-07-2008, 02:36 AM
if you make your download pages in a membership protected page, you could get them to have to join by adding their email address and getting a password to access the pages

Jane
04-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Many thanks for all your replies.

My boss would like to collect the data so it can be used for future mailings.

as i said before i am very new to Dreamweaver so any help at all it very much appreciated

Jane

Ricky55
04-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Just do what I suggested, create a simple form asking for name and email and once submitted have it link to a page for the download.

Do you know how to do this?

Jane
04-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks Ricky for your reply.

No i dont know how to do this. I really am a novice. our website was in frontpage then while i was on maternity leave my company got another company to basically redo the website in dreamweaver. then i was given it back for updating etc !!! i can create basic pages but thats about it. i can learn though

Ricky55
04-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Typical company, through you in at the deep end with no training. To be honest you really do need some training.

There are loads of tutorials on the web though a lot of them free including some good ones on this site.

I used Lynda.com when I was first starting out they have some excellent dreamweaver tutorials.

If you dont want to pay though just search for creating basic forms in dreamweaver.

Jane
04-07-2008, 05:55 PM
thanks Ricky.

Before our site was put into dreamweaver, i did work on a form in frontpage for our website and the submit button is linked to a text file which is then emailed back with the form results in it.

When the site was created again in dreamweaver, a lot of the content of the frontpage form and the text files were used and uploaded to the new site.

Perhaps this little bit of knowledge and understanding the workings behind the form will help me create a new form??

Can i ask a couple of other questions please on this subject

At the moment we have a link on our website which takes the user to a page with a list of pdf's on it which they then click and open in acrobat.

At what point would direct them to the 'new form' to ask them for their email address.

After they submit this 'new form', would it automatically open the pdf for them

Hope this is clear

Jane

Ricky55
04-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Yes you should be OK if you've done forms before.

If you have a page with a few PDFs I would have the form page first so when the click to download the PDF's they see a page that asks for their name and email and then once you have that upon submit take them to the PDF's.

Just put some nice friendly text on your form page so users are likely to provide their details.

Ricky55

Jane
04-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Cheers Ricky. i will have a go at the form and see how i go.

i am sure i will be back asking you some more questions thou. hope u dont mind

Jane

Ricky55
04-07-2008, 10:13 PM
I sent you a private message, if you want me to send you an example of a form I will. I did an example for friend a few months back with some instructions I'll send you it if you want.