PDA

View Full Version : Can you stop the flash intro homepage again?

rangersjedi
04-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi,

Does anybody know how to stop your main page flash movie running again?

I mean when a new visitor to the site clicks back is there a way
to stop it running again but just show the finished movie.
I mean can dreamweaver/flash detect if the vistor has already veiwed the flash homepage movie?

Kindest Regards

Paul

Ricky55
04-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Could you show us the site or provide more info.

rangersjedi
04-03-2008, 05:22 AM
Could you show us the site or provide more info.

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question heres the site.

When it loads press one of the figure catagories then press back.

Cheers

Paul

www.leahstoys.co.uk (http://www.leahstoys.co.uk)

Ricky55
04-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Can I firstly just say that your intro is too slow, intros can be OK but I know I hate to wait for them, try speeding this up, what frame rate are you using?
Its the Leahs toys bit that slides in, that takes an age.

It would also look better with a custom designed preloader rather than the standard flash component. You could have a space related one, just an idea.

I would also make the buttons look more like buttons, maybe have their titles visible from the get go.

I would do away with the animation when you click into a section just have the Leahs toys header, you dont need to see this animate again in my opinion.

Anyway to answer your question:
Because you haven't done the full site in flash I think the easiest way to do this is:-

Have your first page with the animation and the buttons saved as your index page, and use this as an intro page.

Then when a button / section is clicked have this go into that separate page as it does now but then on the section pages have a clear link that says back to categories (or whatever) and have this link to an home_page.html this could just be a copy of the intro page but without the animation just have this ready to go.

This is quite a simple way for users to avoid the animation. If they click the back button though they would still see the animation.

The index animation page could have an enter site button, you could remove the categories altogether and just have these animate in on the home page that way you would force the users to see the home page from the start and then when the clicked the browser back button it would work as you want.

There probably is a way of setting up your flash swf to be able to detect is an html page as already been viewed but I can see this being a simple solution.

If you had done the whole site in flash it would easy to achieve this.

Thanks

Ricky55

Ricky55
04-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Just to recap

index.html (enter site) your animation with no buttons
home.html (similar to your index page but no animation and the buttons)
Sections.html (as they are now but with no animation)

rangersjedi
04-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Can I firstly just say that your intro is too slow, intros can be OK but I know I hate to wait for them, try speeding this up, what frame rate are you using?
Its the Leahs toys bit that slides in, that takes an age.

It would also look better with a custom designed preloader rather than the standard flash component. You could have a space related one, just an idea.

I would also make the buttons look more like buttons, maybe have their titles visible from the get go.

I would do away with the animation when you click into a section just have the Leahs toys header, you dont need to see this animate again in my opinion.

Anyway to answer your question:
Because you haven't done the full site in flash I think the easiest way to do this is:-

Have your first page with the animation and the buttons saved as your index page, and use this as an intro page.

Then when a button / section is clicked have this go into that separate page as it does now but then on the section pages have a clear link that says back to categories (or whatever) and have this link to an home_page.html this could just be a copy of the intro page but without the animation just have this ready to go.

This is quite a simple way for users to avoid the animation. If they click the back button though they would still see the animation.

The index animation page could have an enter site button, you could remove the categories altogether and just have these animate in on the home page that way you would force the users to see the home page from the start and then when the clicked the browser back button it would work as you want.

There probably is a way of setting up your flash swf to be able to detect is an html page as already been viewed but I can see this being a simple solution.

If you had done the whole site in flash it would easy to achieve this.

Thanks

Ricky55

Thanks allot i really appreciate the advise its great to see how helpful people are on this site.
I will do some work on it how do you do a custom loader i learned how to do that flash one from total training tutorials.

Thanks Again

Paul

Ricky55
04-03-2008, 10:52 AM
One of the best sites for free flash video tutorials and forums is

http://www.gotoandlearn.com/
and the forums at
http://www.gotoandlearnforum.com/

this site has a few tuts on preloading external swfs.

If you want though I can email you an example of a simple preloader that you can easily customise to suit your site, just send me an email at richard@qwerty-design.co.uk if you want it.

rangersjedi
04-03-2008, 12:17 PM
One of the best sites for free flash video tutorials and forums is

http://www.gotoandlearn.com/
and the forums at
http://www.gotoandlearnforum.com/

this site has a few tuts on preloading external swfs.

If you want though I can email you an example of a simple preloader that you can easily customise to suit your site, just send me an email at richard@qwerty-design.co.uk if you want it.

I will take a look at them later i have send you a pm

Thanks Again

Paul

Ricky55
04-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Sent you that email mate, let me know how you get on.

rangersjedi
04-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Sent you that email mate, let me know how you get on.

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for the loader just a couple of questions.

1. Can you change the colour of the loading bar?

2. How do you add the loading percent?

Ive do some of the things you suggested have a wee peek
and let me know what you think!

Cheers

Paul

Ricky55
04-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Changing the loading bar colour is really easy, just double click the preloader movie clip to edit it, you have two bars inside this movie clip one for the loading bar and one for the background. Just double click the one you want to change to edit it. Then just select it and select a new colour for it.

To add a percent text do this:-

Double click the preloader movie clip to edit it, create a new layer inside it called text and create a text field for your text, change the text font etc to whatever you want and make the text type dynamic from the drop down menu on the left this will probably say static. It doesn't matter what you leave in there I just leave it blank. Before you leave editing mode make sure the text is selected and give it an instance name of loadText.

Right come back to the root time line and edit the actions for the preloader

look for this line of code

mclL.onLoadProgress = function(target,loaded,total) {
preLoaderMc.preLoaderProgressMc._width = preLoaderMc.preLoaderBaseMc._width * (loaded/total);
}

now just add this line

preLoaderMc.loadText.text = Math.round((loaded/total) * 100) + "%";

so the code block should now look like this:-

mclL.onLoadProgress = function(target,loaded,total) {
preLoaderMc.preLoaderProgressMc._width = preLoaderMc.preLoaderBaseMc._width * (loaded/total);
preLoaderMc.loadText.text = Math.round((loaded/total) * 100) + "%";
}

I'll have a look at what you've done and let you know what I think.

PS
If you cant get this working I'll email you a new version with the text added.

Thanks

Ricky55
04-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Looking better the buttons look more like buttons now.

rangersjedi
04-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Hi,

Thanks Richard you have been very helpful with the preloader i really
appreciate it.

Thanks

Paul

:-D
(http://mw4.m-w.com/dictionary/appreciate)

Looking better the buttons look more like buttons now.

Ricky55
04-07-2008, 11:27 PM
No problem, is it all working as you want now?

rangersjedi
04-08-2008, 08:34 AM
No problem, is it all working as you want now?

Just a couple of wee things the space where the movie loads flashes up as white can i change this to the colour of the website background? both the frontpage and preloader swfs are that colour?

Can you also please tell me how to put the contents of the frontpage into amovie clip?

Thanks again

Paul

Ricky55
04-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Just change the colour of the stage from white to match your site.

You need to go >
Insert Menu >
New Symbol >
Movie Clip

Then build your movie in there. You'll need to rebuild though.