PDA

View Full Version : Drop Down Menus - Newbie

nengels
03-31-2008, 04:40 AM
I am very new to Dreamweaver and have not been able to find/create a dropdown menu in dreamweaver. I first used the flash buttons provided, but i did not like the color. Is there anyway to change the colors? Or are there any other FREE flash buttons out there?

I then found a program called PlugInLabs "Horizontal Flyout Menu" which works great, but it's $80 and I am just creating a personal page. I have found some pages on the net providing the HTML code for the buttons and the CSS styles but I am still learning and am not sure I can edit the HTML to my liking ..... any suggestions? Thanks

edbr
03-31-2008, 08:20 AM
there are a lot of flash buttons out in the world ,ggogle and you will be given. Have you tried the javascript menus that come with dreamweaver. they are under behaviours in dw 8 and before, in cs3 look at ajax.

personally i preferr css a good link is cssplay by stu nichols , sorry cant remember url

Rob_Che
03-31-2008, 09:56 AM
It's good that you're looking at editing already.

I'd be tempted to google for 'Free Menus' - there are hundreds! (millions?)
Pick a CSS tutorial and get stuck in. CSS is easier to troubleshoot and you can get right in the code and instantly check colours etc.

Rob

Rob_Che
03-31-2008, 10:07 AM
Try here: There's a couple Here (http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/)

If you want them animated you'll need Javascript too I guess...
I can't help there... that IS foreign to me.

Rob_Che
03-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Tutorial... (http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/tutorial.html)

nengels
03-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Try here: There's a couple Here (http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/)

If you want them animated you'll need Javascript too I guess...
I can't help there... that IS foreign to me.

Thanks Rob_Che but when I go to this site....how in the world do i download the code? I don't see where to click to download. But thanks, it's already got me looking!!

Rob_Che
04-01-2008, 12:11 AM
All the CSS code is in the source...
Google CSS tutorials... there are tons out there... :)

Have you linked anything by CSS yet? Links or text styles?

nengels
04-01-2008, 02:10 AM
All the CSS code is in the source...
Google CSS tutorials... there are tons out there... :)

Have you linked anything by CSS yet? Links or text styles?

Well, I have got alot done today in my spare time. I learned about linkages and styles through CSS but I have a question....first it looks like from my computer that the horizontal navigation bar is functioning, but when I go upstairs to my wife's laptop it display's as if their is no formatting...whats up? Check it out....www.maps4weddings.com

Suggestions?

domedia
04-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Here's whats in your source:
<link rel="stylesheet" media="all" type="text/css" href="file:///C|/Documents and Settings/Nathan Engels/My Documents/maps4weddings.com/images/styles.css" />
<script src="file:///C|/Documents and Settings/Nathan Engels/My Documents/maps4weddings.com/images/java.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

The other computer probably does not have your stylesheet and js file in its C: drive ;)

But please don't cross post again, it's very rude.

nengels
04-03-2008, 06:45 PM
<link rel="stylesheet" media="all" type="text/css" href="file:///C|/Documents and Settings/Nathan Engels/My Documents/maps4weddings.com/images/styles.css" />
<script src="file:///C|/Documents and Settings/Nathan Engels/My Documents/maps4weddings.com/images/java.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

The other computer probably does not have your stylesheet and js file in its C: drive ;)

But please don't cross post again, it's very rude.

Sorry about cross posting....I discovered the CSS area and thought it would be a better area to post. But thanks again...this has been an asset to me!!

David Humphrey
03-24-2009, 03:42 PM
<script src="file:///C|/Documents and Settings/Nathan Engels/My Documents/maps4weddings.com/images/java.js" type="text/javascript"></script>The other computer probably does not have your stylesheet and js file in its C: drive ;)

Being a newbie here and to DW, I'm wondering if JS will only play correctly if you have the code on each specific computer. This seems to be what you are indicating. I'm wondering if there is a way around this? I thought that as long as you uploaded the JS with your wev site it worked fine on all computers. Am I misunderstanding something here? :confused: Of course confusion and I have been close friends for many years!!;-)

domedia
03-24-2009, 04:53 PM
All you need to do is make sure the path is to the file on the server, not a path to a file on the C: drive.

David Humphrey
03-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks!! :grin: