PDA

View Full Version : web cowboy needing alignment and browser help

kitanja
03-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Hi there, Ive just joined up to the forums and Im so grateful for having resources like this to pull me out of the technical pits. Basically Im having a jaunt at web design for a relatives company. Its a very basic site which I am designing in photoshop and then importing into dreamweaver.
Since im new and an impatient reader I hoped someone might lend me a hand with a few questions. Firstly what is the best way to import a .psd into dreamweaver? When it is imported into a table, how do I ensure that the table remains central and there is no excess white space around its circumference. When checking in browsers there always seems to be a silly amount of white space around the main table. Id like the site to be able to be viewed in a range of browsers and resolutions and not become distorted. Im sure with your help I can make this thing work. Best wishes,Gareth

gmcrone
03-30-2008, 03:56 PM
1. You can only directly import a psd file in Dreamweaver CS3.
Otherwise you will have to save your file as a png or jpg before importing it.

2. Don't use tables, use CSS.
To get rid of borders around your page use CSS to set margins to 0.

Since we have no idea what your page looks like, you should read up on how to slice images up. And then how to create a centered page in CSS, then how to use Absolute positioning to line up your sliced graphics.

Mike...

kitanja
03-31-2008, 09:03 AM
thanks alot mike:grin: , thats a great help. I will do those things and here is the basic template of site, basically itll just have a few rollovers for the navigation with the images changing in the bottom right corner.
All the best,
Gareth