PDA

View Full Version : review of http://pp.kpnet.fi/prescott/stuff/pihapeikko/

d a v e
03-29-2008, 06:33 PM
this is a simple site i'm doing for my cousin-in-law.
http://pp.kpnet.fi/prescott/stuff/pihapeikko/

it's for
garden design, garden therapy and er, fengshui

no links live as yet as this will form the template ...

thanks for any comments

domedia
03-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Beautiful!
A little hard to see where the nav was (make into buttons), but the color scheme and design looks awesome.

Ricky55
03-30-2008, 11:10 AM
yes very nice

Rob_Che
03-30-2008, 11:04 PM
I like it.

Are you looking for critique ?
I don't want to speak out of turn but have (constructive) criticism if interested...

Rob

ps: I like your gekko site...

d a v e
03-31-2008, 10:36 AM
rob - yes i am looking for critique.
i'm always interested in constructive criticism ;)

Rob_Che
03-31-2008, 11:02 PM
I do like it... but I will put my critique head on... :)

The black in the 'goblin' illustration is too harsh, makes it look clip arty.
Try using a deep green - it can be real dark but as soon as you remove the 'black' you'll notice it even out and become one image... probably.

The image in the top banner has no 'relationship' with the rest of the banner - just a square image.
Try a distressed edge ? or try involving it wth other elements (see below...)

The banner is so square... Imagine if the swirly leaves in the background were the same colour as the pink on the banner and it didn't have a dropshadow - BAM! you header is sprawling across your page...

I like it tho... all the things I've mentions would certainly add to the organic nature of the product... let it grow ! (sorry getting carried away now)

Rob :smile:

edbr
04-01-2008, 01:21 AM
yes it is good on rob_che's comment
The image in the top banner has no 'relationship' with the rest of the banner - just a square image.
Try a distressed edge ? or try involving it wth other elements (see below...)
perhaps the flower shape (petals)only without the foilage would help

d a v e
04-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Rob - i wasn't quite happy with the goblin image my self (I re-drew from a hand drawn line scan) but your suggestion has hit the nail on the head. i haven't quite got all the black bits but it certainly looks more integrated.

i agree it's a little square, but i think it's more important to keep the leaves green (to keep enough up of the garden/plant colours ) otherwise it's too pink! and when it tried it it looked a little too busy.

in one way i think the squareness gives it some need definition to keep the focus on the main part of the site and not the background, so i'm going to keep it the way it is. i increased the opacity of the horizontal curve in the header a little to organic feel.

i changed the lily image to sort of match the wavy outline of the heading backgrounds and hopefully reduce the overall squareness :)

thanks for the comments, they were well made ;)

edbr i tried with some petal shapes but it didn't work either and i'm over budget as far as my time goes as i agreed a 'family' rate i.e. a fixed amount for the whole site.

just waitin now to see what my cousin in law says ;)

Rob_Che
04-01-2008, 12:49 PM
WOW! That has made a MASSIVE difference...

Really nice now... much more lively...

Glad you took the comments onboard... Really pleased you took the feedback without getting offended - some people are too sensitive ;)

I've bookmarked it now !

Rob_Che
04-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Gets a lovely green Validator tick too... Good work

d a v e
04-01-2008, 02:37 PM
WOW! That has made a MASSIVE difference...

Really nice now... much more lively...

Glad you took the comments onboard... Really pleased you took the feedback without getting offended - some people are too sensitive ;)

I've bookmarked it now !

it's easy to feel sensitive when you've created something, but IMO as long a people are constructive in their opinions (or at least can support it: i don't like *this* because of *that*) then that's exactly what a site critique should be ;)

for beginners and hobbyists it's often good to tread more gently, but otherwise if you ask for a review then you have to be able to take fair comment.

edbr
04-02-2008, 01:57 AM
if you ask for a review then you have to be able to take fair comment.
yes and you are open to personal likes and dislikes so expect what comes