PDA

View Full Version : Setting up A Logn Page

bilabong
03-21-2008, 01:33 AM
Can some one help me.
I am new to Dreamweaver but am learning fast. I have a website for my wife and I www.daveandpaula.com (http://www.daveandpaula.com) but want to ristict the use of some pages to friends and family only. Can someone here tell me how to set up a login Page and area.

Please please help.

Dave

edbr
03-21-2008, 02:38 AM
to do this you can use a database to allow password and user names for pages or directories. most commonly php mysql.
you could however use .htaccess to restrict but this is not a function in DW

if you go for the database i am sure we can help you if you have any problems

bilabong
03-21-2008, 03:42 AM
Thats just what i want to do . can you help me.?

edbr
03-21-2008, 06:07 AM
if you are really into learning then first step, if you have not used databases before, is to checkout the video tutorials on this site.

all that is needed is a db with username ,password and level (optional) its not difficult but the vids are great at teaching,

neonfluxx
03-21-2008, 06:38 AM
easier option:

Instead of the learning curve, why don't you just restrict access to a directory on your host and place those pages in there. Then you could still limit the access and not have to worry about the login pages.

But if you want to learn with microsoft and asp I recommend www.dmxfire.com . if you want to learn php than this is the place and DJ is the person on that tip.

edbr
03-21-2008, 07:53 AM
[QUOTE][Then you could still limit the access and not have to worry about the login pages./QUOTE]
that would be .htaccess

domedia
03-21-2008, 03:02 PM
yes on an apache server, .htacess with an accompanying .passwd file.

bilabong
03-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Neon, Thanks for your advice. I have watched the Video several time. I have downloaded wampserver but every time i try and open it it says it cannot find the folder.

Can you suggest any thing. I am using your Dreeded Iexplorer.

Dave

mangofreak
03-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Check out these tutorials - using DW & ASP: http://www.webthang.co.uk/goto/tutorials/000175/?cat=2&tut=175
http://www.fordwebs.com/mx-asp/login.asp
http://www.cgw3.co.uk/tutorials/create-a-login-page-and-userdetails-table.asp?MenuID=6

Also, try using Firefox for previewing as it provides with better error responses. Great for debugging.
Good luck.

neonfluxx
03-22-2008, 03:37 PM
"Also, try using Firefox for previewing as it provides with better error responses. Great for debugging."

IE is a P.O.S., switch just like mango said

bilabong
03-23-2008, 03:37 PM
thanks for that. i had already thought of it though.
fire foxdoes not find the folder eiter.
I am going to try a reinstall again and make sure all files are deleted first.

bilabong
03-23-2008, 10:52 PM
ok mheres were i am up to. I have followed the tut all the way. I have entered the pass word in the config file. it is not quiete where the tut says though. It is in the Apps folder then in PHPmyadmin. When i then save and go back into PHPmy Admin i get the warning sign but no split screen so I c not do or check any thing else.
Just to add insult to injury i have another laptop running XP and that one is running up to the data bae set up ok. However all my work is done on th other one.

Any more Ideas. Oh yes I had to put the wamp folder into programs on both laptops to get firefox to find them.....
Dave

bilabong
03-24-2008, 12:03 AM
Well first I have to thanks every one for their help.

I now have the data base connected to the website.

So what would be the next step on setting up the information and haw do i add that to an exsisting website?

Dave

edbr
03-24-2008, 09:29 AM
you need a db containing userrname ands password .did you do that? already

bilabong
03-29-2008, 04:04 PM
i have worked out how to set up a db in phpmy admin. what i don't understand is how to implement it.
can you tell me the next step.

thanks

edbr
03-31-2008, 07:09 AM
ok try this
go to application select the +symbol choose mysql connection. a pop up box will appear , fill in connection details and choose database you have made.
once you have made a connection
next go to bindings and create a recordset. choose your new connection and database.

next go to server behaviours + then User authentication, and Restrict access to page. a form wizard will come up you will need to fill out .

bilabong
03-31-2008, 03:16 PM
ok thats done, it seemed to easy.....lol
do i just upload the site then?

edbr
04-01-2008, 01:03 AM
you will need to upload the site and make the database online the same as you have on your local server.

edbr
04-02-2008, 02:00 AM
bilabong , come back on tis as you must now create a login page. unless you sussed that . i am trying to go through this step by step and (potential) problems 1 at a time

bilabong
04-02-2008, 03:07 PM
ok thanks for that. I think i have do the log on page ok would you like to check it for me? I used my norm home page and added the login script i took from anothe page. I only want to limit access to certain pages on the website.

edbr
04-03-2008, 04:40 AM
no that souns alright the login wizard lets you nominate the page to go to if succesful and where to go if not (usually the login page)
ant page you want to restrict you must add as before recordset authority and make the redirect page also your login page

bilabong
04-06-2008, 01:31 AM
edbr, I have worked through the wizard as you said but it only asks where to go if not sucssesful. am I using the correct wizard. Also when I upload the page Do i do the Login page as a PHP file.

edbr
04-07-2008, 01:27 AM
i will have to check the wizard and get back . i havent used it for ages!! sorry

jadepearl
04-07-2008, 04:02 AM
Hi Everyone!

Like bilabong, I too am very new to DW but am eager to learn. I have created my website with DW with the .htm extension as a beginner using a template. Now I would like to create a log-in page so that only members will be able to view the restricted pages.

Questions:

1. I understand that in order to create a log-in page, I would have to create a new page with the .php extension. How do I do that using my template?

2. I also found out that before I can try my hands on creating a login page, I must have a DB server running on my computer. Some of my friends has informed me to install dev5beta3.exe (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/phpdev5/dev5beta3.exe) since I am a beginner. Is this OK? But I do not know anything about MySQL. So, would it be easier to fall back on Microsoft Access?

I have found the tutorials and will be checking it out now.

Thanks guys for your help.:-D

bilabong
04-07-2008, 04:32 AM
ok thanks for that . I really want to get this done soon.

Dave

Cary
04-07-2008, 04:32 AM
Welcome, jadepearl! You should start a new thread for this question.

edbr
04-07-2008, 08:36 AM
bilabong,
yes make your login php
the wizard (log in user) should have where to go if successful and where to go when not
the restrict access to page wizard has only where to go if unsuccessful.
once you have logged in this will be accessible automatically

edbr
04-07-2008, 08:38 AM
jade pearl
1 make a new template
2 dont trust access on the internet as it has been (im told) security issues

jadepearl
04-08-2008, 07:06 AM
Cary - Thanks for the warm welcome! OK will do so.:-D

edbr - OK. I am correct to say that I will have to create a new template with the .php extension for my log-in page? As for the rest of the pages, it can remain as .htm extension? Thanks for the info with regards to access. Will learn the MySQL. Thanks!:-D

edbr
04-08-2008, 08:15 AM
a diffeent template for all php pages if you use them.
as for access i never use it so i only said that from hearsay!

jadepearl
04-08-2008, 08:22 AM
edbr - OIC, now I get it. Thanks so much! :) Will give it a go.

bilabong
04-08-2008, 02:29 PM
i have worked through the wizard. I have uploaded the page and data base but something is wrong. Can you take a look Please.
www.daveandpaula.com

Thanks

edbr
04-09-2008, 01:21 AM
sent you a pm

bilabong
04-09-2008, 01:56 AM
edbr I replied to pm