PDA

View Full Version : Emailing a Project

RonDu
03-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Hello all. I am new to the scene and have a concern that I am unable to find using the search option- I am working on a web project as an intern for an interior design company. The problem is that they are hundreds of miles away and I want to keep them updated on the progress of the project. It won't be published until they are content with site. I can't bring my laptop to them so is there a way to email them the project? And if so will they need to have Dreamweaver in order to view it? In advance, thank you!

Ricky55
03-18-2008, 09:37 PM
just upload the site to the server as work in progress.

If you don't have a development server you could buy some cheap hosting and use that or just upload the site into a folder on the server thats hidden from the public until the site is complete.

For example if you had finished the site you would upload index.html into the root folder of the site but in your case you could just create a folder on the server called workInProgress and upload your work to there and just let your colleagues have the link.

So the link would be www.yoursite.com/workInProgress/test.html for example.

Ricky55
03-18-2008, 09:38 PM
you will just need the FTP details for the server.

RonDu
03-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks a lot for the info. I just thought there would be a way for me to email it to them so they can view it. Oh well, thanks again!

Rob_Che
03-18-2008, 10:23 PM
You can... you can email them the html files and include all the source files, they can open it in their own browser I guess...
I would NEVER do it tho... send someone all the guts of my work? No way.

Just host it... Most internerd providers offer free server space ;)

edbr
03-19-2008, 02:53 AM
if you want to pay secret squirrel, send them screen shot images

domedia
03-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Most companies I know have a development server with client access.

Ricky55
03-19-2008, 07:47 PM
thats the best way of doing this, just upload the files, whats wrong with this method?

RonDu
03-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Good points made. Thanks guys!