PDA

View Full Version : preferred method to set up sliced banner

mek113
03-17-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm wanting to slice a banner on a website to help with download time. Is it better to set the slices in a table or can I do this in CSS without using a table? If CSS is better, how would I do that?

mek113

d a v e
03-17-2008, 10:59 PM
it only helps with download time if you can optimise different slices at different settings effectively - say some parts as gif and some as jpeg, some parts with more compression and some at less, AND enough to overcome the extra werver requests required for mulitple images.

if you do it don't use tables as it's not tabular data.

basically you'd be better of just using the banner as one image.

if you're still unsure then post a link to the banner so we can see but i very much doubt you'll save anything much ;)

Rob_Che
03-21-2008, 11:49 PM
It's rare to need to split a banner image these days...
People should be required by law to have a reasonable speed connection.

I used to set a background text message of "bored of waiting? get broadband"
Seems pretty outdated now tho...

How big is this banner?

Rob

mangofreak
03-22-2008, 02:58 AM
unless your target group still uses mainly dial-up, then it makes no sense slicing the banners. Anyhow, as long as you use the appropriate file type for the right image: i.e. photographs = jpg, png Fonts an solid color images compress better with gif.

Check this link: http://htmlhelp.com/design/imageuse.htm or google for gif or jpeg

mek113
03-22-2008, 05:49 PM
In an ideal world, yes everyone would have high speed Internet. I live in a rural area of America and design websites for a rural community. Reality is that outside the city limits, many areas of rural America do not have any options yet but dial-up or Satellite. Satellite is almost as bad as dial-up and when it's overcast or raining, forget it!!

The banners I've designed are in the 17 kb to 30 kb size. I optimize them as much as I think I can without losing clarity. I just have to avoid doing anything too fancy when I design them in Photoshop. I've set them up with the onLoad script so that helps once the page has been opened once.

What initiated this question was an online class that I recently took from a Photoshop graphic artist type who designed the entire page in Photoshop and ended up with over 40 slices. But she did not go any further to explain how to actually incorporate these slices into a website other than to set it up in tables. She obviously did not know CSS. She got a pretty bad evaluation from me. I told her she needed to update her class.

So I think you guys have answered my question. Don't worry about slicing, just keep the image as small as possible for my target audience.

mek113