PDA

View Full Version : header with menu - best way??

liquidmonkey
03-15-2008, 11:54 PM
hello,
would like to have a header banner on each page in my sight. within the banner (which is a picture (900x180)) will be the site menu (spry menu bar).
what is the best way so that the menu will be directly on top and bottom left of the banner picture that i add?

eventually the banner picture will be changed every week.
would also like to be able to make the spry menu bar have about 75% opacity.

i tried putting a table within a table but that only forced the spry menu bar below it.
should i be using layers here? (need to watch that tutorial still).
or what would you experts do?

thanks in advance!

domedia
03-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Tables are for tabular data, don't use it for site layout.

liquidmonkey
03-16-2008, 09:31 PM
interesting you say that. call me a nOOb but both tutorials from lynda.com and total training say that tables are a great way to split up / organize your page layout.
started learning DW CS3 a month ago and the tables really help :-D

d a v e
03-16-2008, 11:26 PM
are they old tuts?

liquidmonkey
03-16-2008, 11:34 PM
the total training tut is for dreamweaver 8 but the lynda.com one is for CS3.
i understand that tables were used for numbers and data in the beginning but they later evolved (according to the tut) into good ways to layout a site.

i'm aware that CSS can do a lot, if not all, of that sort of layout stuff these days but i haven't fully learned CSS so tables are a good starting point (for me).

if there are other better ways to layout a page please let me know and i'll look it up and learn that as well :)

edbr
03-17-2008, 02:37 AM
i haven't fully learned CSS so tables are a good starting point (for me).
I used to think the same way but it is not correct. the sooner you use css and layers the better, tables have a use but not for layout. try and you will se it is not such a long learning curve

gmcrone
03-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Your banner should be a background image. Then you can put your nav bar on top of it. align bottom left.

Mike...

Much easier with CSS

Rob_Che
03-17-2008, 03:58 PM
I concur - tables cause more problems than they solve.
I find them really restrictive and frustrating - you're screwed if you want to place things accurately...
That's why I'm 'learning' CSS...

liquidmonkey
03-17-2008, 05:46 PM
thanks for the tips and subtle hints to learn CSS :) promise, i'm on it and should be good to go in another few weeks.