PDA

View Full Version : Tables

Brenda
03-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi,
I am very new to Dreamweaver - I would like to add a few separate columns but the only way I know how to is to add a Table, however I dont want the borders to appear on the table.

1- is there a better suggestion for separate columns then tables
and
2- how do I get the table not to show any lines?

Thank you:roll:

Rob_Che
03-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Now... people round here don't like tables but I'll answer the question before the coders catch me...

Are the borders showing when you preview it ? (Press F12)
Usually they are set with no borders set but they do show the boundary in the design view...
If they are showing borders in preview then in 'Properties' at the bottom of your page, ensure that Border is set to 0. If they are set for laying out columns then set CellPad & CellSpace to 0 too... have a play to see what they do...

Your homework is to work out what is changing in the script when you make these changes (press F10)

Hope that helps a little - Rob

Brenda
03-12-2008, 09:59 PM
I can totally understand why no-one likes tables.

Thank you for repsonding I did hit the F-10 and my Border was at 1 should have been 0. changed to 0 and it fixed it.

Thanks again you were alot of help.

Rob_Che
03-13-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks again you were alot of help.

First time for everything ;)

Tables are fine for building sites (I built all mine in tables) but moving away from them now...

d a v e
03-13-2008, 10:30 AM
"Tables are fine for building sites" not any more ;)

davidj
03-13-2008, 10:54 AM
its now the law to use CSS. Anyone found using tables are charged with furniture abuse and are subjected to a Chinese burn

CSS gives you allot more control but you can still have a valid table layout which is accessible. Css is the way to go but no one will give you a wedgie if you use a table here and there.

Rob_Che
03-13-2008, 11:47 AM
"Tables are fine for building sites" not any more ;)

Let me rephrase.

Tables can be used for building a site - I have used them with success in the past

:-D

d a v e
03-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Rob - you can rephrase it but i think it makes it sound ok to use tables for layout, especially for newbies who don't know better. yes they *can* be but they shouldn't be, just in the same way that font tags can be used too :)

Rob_Che
03-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Rob - you can rephrase it but i think it makes it sound ok to use tables for layout, especially for newbies who don't know better. yes they *can* be but they shouldn't be, just in the same way that font tags can be used too :)

yeah, you're right of course d a v e - just trying to help with the immediate problem :-D

domedia
03-16-2008, 08:05 PM
You can also use a toaster to drive a nail in the wall. ;)

liquidmonkey
03-16-2008, 10:38 PM
hahaha, u guys REALLY don't like tables.
but there great for the CSS uninitiated (but am learning it now) like me.

the toaster comment was good :) :) :)

domedia
03-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Tables are so restricting.. they were not created for site layout, thus the methaphor about using a toaster. CSS is the technology created for styling web pages, and HTML tables is a protocol for displaying tabular data, like data in an excel spreadsheet. Why Lynda would still promote using tables for design is beyond me, and frankly quite disappointing.

Ricky55
03-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Just been looking at Perfect Pixels Rob, you've done some nice stuff there mate.

Rob_Che
03-18-2008, 07:42 PM
De Ja Vu Ricky ! :) But thanks...

neonfluxx
03-19-2008, 04:47 AM
Tables are the future:

for dinner meetings
hot chicks dancing naked
playing cards
or just having your cat lay on it

and once in a while you may want to display data with them but thats it. :mrgreen:

edbr
03-19-2008, 05:34 AM
hot chicks dancing naked
is that in a new dreamweaver version or is it an extension?

minpot
03-19-2008, 12:50 PM
omg . . . . . guys guys . . . . . .
i guess you all are so modern that tables are the prehistoric era . . . ..
Are beginners allow/allowed ?
Thanks for tips and all :)