PDA

View Full Version : PHP, MySQL - does it really matter?

student101
03-12-2008, 10:34 AM
I called this thread "does it really matter" 'cause I am really interested to hear what you have to say.

I have been playing around with PHP and MySQL for some time now (not long enough though), and I realised that I have no clue how to "properly" setup PHP or MySQL.

I have read tons of guides/tuts/articles and so on, but they just don't work "properly", so does it really matter that WAMP,XAMP and all the others that are available for us "non-know-it-alls" to setup and yet have no clue what's actually happening?

What's your view (not on the fact that "I" have no clue)?

Cheers

davidj
03-12-2008, 01:51 PM
what do you want to know

you can setup WAMP and others 'out of the box'

If something doesnt work then its not setup correctly

what are you having trouble with

student101
03-12-2008, 02:00 PM
I was just interested in the views of those that use PHP, MySQL

When I first started with PHP and MySQL it was easy to setup, then I got lost along the way as time went on.

Since my pc gets formatted every 6 months I got tired of trying to figure out why things don't work, jumped on to WAMP and have been happy but would prefer that PHP and MySQL were easier to setup.

Not every topic needs to be answered - chatting is good for you.

davidj
03-12-2008, 02:20 PM
we are here to help which is why we answer

now if i posted something like...

the ladies think im very attractive. I look like the hoff

i wouldnt expect a reply because im stating the obvious

regarding PHP and WAMP

I got tired of trying to figure out why things don't work

well thats part of being in the IT industry. We are problem solvers. Thats what we do.

If there is anything i can help with regarding the setup of PHP then please post and i will try to help

student101
03-12-2008, 02:27 PM
the ladies think im very attractive. I look like the hoff

What is hoff?
Do they?

edbr
03-13-2008, 02:24 AM
hoff = ancient german pop star
' look like the hoff' and 'the ladies think im very attractive.' not sure these can be used in the same sentence

student101
03-13-2008, 05:57 AM
I'm not into POP, RAP is my theme.
Thanks though.

student101
03-14-2008, 05:50 PM
what do you want to know
you can setup WAMP and others 'out of the box'
If something doesnt work then its not setup correctly
what are you having trouble with

The cool thing about using WAMP or similar is that you can change MySQL, PHP or Apache versions with a click of a button.
I use it more for testing purposes.

<start rant>
I wish PHP, MySQL were easier to setup and get going, irrespective of what OS you use.
I find no "real" helpful information on setup or install instructions(apart from the tons of text (with no pictures)), that is why jumped on to wamp, been happy and can manipulate it quite easily.
</end rant>

pete
04-08-2008, 10:24 PM
I switched to Mac from PC several years ago. It is a much better environment to develop on simply because its based on FreeBSD so its as close to running a unix server as possible. Compiling PHP on Mac OSX though is a nightmare, I once spent 2 days with very little sleep. I've never had problems on Windows though but would never choose to go back to Windows for developing. Bindows is just used for site testing now.

Rob_Che
04-17-2008, 08:12 AM
<start rant>
I wish PHP, MySQL were easier to setup and get going, irrespective of what OS you use.
I find no "real" helpful information on setup or install instructions(apart from the tons of text (with no pictures)), that is why jumped on to wamp, been happy and can manipulate it quite easily.
</end rant>

If only there was a video tutorial available . . .

(unless that's how you set up WAMP?)

student101
04-17-2008, 08:26 AM
*AMP is the easiest way to go.
Otherwise you could follow these:
http://www.sebastiansulinski.co.uk/web_design_tutorials/web_server/installing_apache_php_mysql_a.php

Cheers