PDA

View Full Version : Template with navigation bar problem

duker10
03-03-2008, 04:23 PM
I have a site I am working on in Dreamweaver CS3, which I have created a template for. I have built a navigation bar onto this site, and have made the table that it is displayed in an editable region. However, when I try to modify the navigation bar in an html page created from the template, I get this error:

Making this change would require changing code that is locked by a template or translator. The change will be discarded.

Does anyone have nay suggestions on how to make a navigation bar an editable region in a template? I want to do this so that I can change the default button down state for each page.

kona72
03-08-2008, 02:26 PM
This is simply the nature of the template. In order to make the navigation area editable you simply need to assign it as an editable region.

Hope this helps.

tuthmosis
04-15-2008, 01:18 PM
This is simply the nature of the template. In order to make the navigation area editable you simply need to assign it as an editable region.

Hope this helps.

Kona,... this is exactly what duker said he did... he placed the navigation bar in an editable region...
I too have the same problem and it looks like a bug with Dreamweaver.

So at the end, Dreaweaver doesn't have the capability to insert and manage proper navigation components.

Anyone has a solution ??

domedia
04-15-2008, 02:58 PM
The nature of the DW template system is that some items can only be edited from the TEMPLATE :) These are common elements like th Navigation that should be the same on all pages.
You can not edit these regions in the HTML pages made from the template.

tuthmosis
04-15-2008, 03:19 PM
The nature of the DW template system is that some items can only be edited from the TEMPLATE :) These are common elements like th Navigation that should be the same on all pages.
You can not edit these regions in the HTML pages made from the template.
Normally i would agree, but sadly, the developper of DreamWeaver forgot to include the "Active" state for the navigation buttons... This forces us to place a navigation bar in each pages modifying the proper button to show it as active when the corresponding page is loaded...

This is the proper way to use Navigation Bar according to Lynda.com's "Dreamweaver CS3 :Essential Training".

domedia
04-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Let's just say that there are many other ways of doing it, and Lynda seems to be wrong more and more :)

Cary
04-16-2008, 12:35 AM
This thread (http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27752) may be helpful. A possible solution is suggested.